RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DIY Piggies for B7 RS4 and Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Piggies for B7 RS4 and Sound Quality

1) I think I'm going to gut my precats before this Audi Driving Experience. The only DIY I've found to date are for the S4, and everyone with an RS is claiming that it's not the same and that the Precats have aluminum in them and a different design that make them much harder to gut. I've read the VAST 02 spacers work to get rid of the CEL (and I'll eventually get JHM tune). Other than that, I basically just want to make sure I have the right and best tools/parts/info on hand for the job so that I can do it right the first go around without F-ing around for 6 hours or running back and forth to the nearest parts store as I have issues. Any help or advice here is greatly appreciated.

2) I've heard mixed reviews about the sound quality of Piggies w/ Milltek Non Res exhaust. I love the sound of the car now with just the Non-Res Milltek, and if I have to trade off on sound quality (trying to avoid raspyness) for a few extra HP I will regret the decision (it's my DD and I'm in sales so I can't be super obnoxious). Any advice here from people who have experienced Milltek non res with and without piggies would be great.

3) I'm not a straight line speed freak, but for $500 bucks if I can do the piggies and JHM 93 Tune to pick up more mid TQ and a few HP I think it's worth it. That will probably be all I ever do for HP. I have to imagine that this combo at this price will be worth it, but if I'm wasting my time by not going full 2.75 JHM with their other goodies then please let me know.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

JHM only charges like $415 so I just took that route instead of messing around with all that myself. I have the Milltek non-res and just put my piggies on this week so you can check mine out if you want. It's not really a noticeable difference from the piggies vs stock downpipes. I do notice a little more of a raspyness around 2k rpm but aside from that it's hard for me to notice, which I was pleased with becuase I didn't really want it to be any louder. We'll be doing dyno runs from like 11-3 at Infinite Speed and Performance in Beltsville tomorrow. It's hard for me to give you any performance difference because I had my carbon clean, JHM intake spacers, piggies, and JHM lw crank pulley all done at the same time. I notice a HUGE difference in power but it's probably a combination of all those things. All those parts only cost me about $1k but the labor was almost double that. If you do a lot of that stuff when you do your carbon clean, a lot of the labor is already included.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are they give you any special deals on the Dyno runs? How much is it, I might be down for meeting you guys up there.

You think the $415 is worth it huh? I figured if I'm taking it off and reinstalling it either way then gutting it is only adding another hour or so to the process. Unfortunately my time isn't worth more than $415 bucks an hour these days. I guess I take the risk of the VAST spacers not working and having a CEL, which would suck.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Banned

it's DIYable. It's way easier than the B6/7 S4 so whoever told you otherwise is smoking crack.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's $85 for 3 pulls.... I've never worked on cars so even if it's easy I'd probably defer. Don't even have the equipment to lift my car. Speaking of CEL's, mine actually just went off. I didn't realize I needed to add the spacers to my parts list for the shop.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
Speaking of CEL's, mine actually just went off. I didn't realize I needed to add the spacers to my parts list for the shop.
Your not supposed to have to add the spacers. That's one of the benefits to running the JHM piggies, becuase they are supposed to relocate the O2 sensor to behind the main cats. With all the changes you just made it could be a number of things. If it's running fine, then I would limp over to the nearest shop and get the codes checked and go from there. If it's just 02 issue, then try to clear it and see if it comes back...if it does, call JHM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I explained the location thing with NGP but I think they were only familiar with the spacer option. I'll run over at 10 when they open just to make sure that's what it is before we beat on it with the dyno.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took a video so you can hear the Milltek with the gutted downpipes. PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you. I doubt you can tell the difference. You should check out QW about the JHM tune. Appears as though 2 people have blown motors. That's a really small number compared to the number of people with the tune but I think it's something to consider. Apparently the JHM gets the absolute most out of the motor by really pushing the limit. Since we'll be tracking it, it may be worthwhile just getting a more conservative tune since we'll be pushing the car near it's limit for long periods of time with road courses.