RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Do I have any recourse against AUDI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have any recourse against AUDI?

Bought an 08 RS4 certified in mid july 2010, put 6500 miles on it; and my local dealer says i need pads and rotors for front and back for 3k?

Even if the brakes were at the lowest allowable level for certification, I would image I would get at least 20k miles

What is shocking is that the 6500 miles were 90% highway miles, so I must have got completely screwed. I never tracked the car or even pushed it yet.

Do i have any recourse against Audi or the dealership? I called the dealer where i bought it; but, they don't care because I am so far away. I called AOA and they said I could file a complaint, but that does not pay for the 3k bill?

Any advice would help...
Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

You first step should involved looking at the Certified Inspection to see if the Brakes met spec. If they were bad at that time then you have them by arguing why weren't they swapped out.

Originally Posted by titanium08
Bought an 08 RS4 certified in mid july 2010, put 6500 miles on it; and my local dealer says i need pads and rotors for front and back for 3k?

Even if the brakes were at the lowest allowable level for certification, I would image I would get at least 20k miles

What is shocking is that the 6500 miles were 90% highway miles, so I must have got completely screwed. I never tracked the car or even pushed it yet.

Do i have any recourse against Audi or the dealership? I called the dealer where i bought it; but, they don't care because I am so far away. I called AOA and they said I could file a complaint, but that does not pay for the 3k bill?

Any advice would help...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...Even if the brakes were at the lowest allowable level for certification, I would image I would get at least 20k miles...
Not saying you didn't draw the short straw, but lots of owners don't see much more than 20K on a set of brand new brakes. There are cheaper sources for the parts if you don't want to pay top dollar at the stealer.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Not saying you didn't draw the short straw, but lots of owners don't see much more than 20K on a set of brand new brakes. There are cheaper sources for the parts if you don't want to pay top dollar at the stealer.
Elevens is right - Who knows how the car was driven before you got it and you did not say what he mileage was on the car now. Brakes are considered a wear item and not covered by warranty. I went with Centric pads : http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...Path=44_99_514
Old 01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Elevens is right - Who knows how the car was driven before you got it and you did not say what he mileage was on the car now. Brakes are considered a wear item and not covered by warranty. I went with Centric pads : http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...Path=44_99_514
Helpful...but i need rotors too...they said they were warped...do you guys know where to get rotors cheap?

current mileage 37500

My dealer out west will not return phone calls...i called at least 10 times today...go figure
They also screwed me by re-finishing a rim that should have been replaced and sprayed the front bumper...scum bags
AOA said to file a compliant...what will that do? The problem is that it was the only certified black car with titanium package out there when i was looking; should have gotten the texas car with red seats with 4k on the clock...the reason i pulled the trigger sight un-seen is that it was a 2008 with 30k which i bought for 48k which at the time thought was a killer deal considering my local dealer in the east coast wanted 57k for the same car different color with little less mileage.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Helpful...but i need rotors too...they said they were warped...do you guys know where to get rotors cheap?

current mileage 37500

My dealer out west will not return phone calls...i called at least 10 times today...go figure
They also screwed me by re-finishing a rim that should have been replaced and sprayed the front bumper...scum bags
AOA said to file a compliant...what will that do? The problem is that it was the only certified black car with titanium package out there when i was looking; should have gotten the texas car with red seats with 4k on the clock...the reason i pulled the trigger sight un-seen is that it was a 2008 with 30k which i bought for 48k which at the time thought was a killer deal considering my local dealer in the east coast wanted 57k for the same car different color with little less mileage.
Look at ECS and the links I posted
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

You spent the same amount I did on my 2007. Both CPO, both purchased around the same time, both with similar mileage. I shopped a half dozen dealers up and down the east coast and just couldn't get dealers to budge below $48k for CPO cars. I tried walking away a few times, playing hardball, only to find out I missed out on some great cars. At the time we were shopping, most 2008 CPO models were well above $50k. Point is, you got a GREAT deal. So, if I were you, I'd take some of the money you saved and get new brakes.

I'm not sure, but I think brakes need to be 30% (maybe it's 50%) to pass CPO inspection. Brakes don't have to be new to pass CPO. So, if your brakes barely passed CPO in July, it's very likely that you could need new brakes after 6,500 miles.

Look at it this way... IF your dealer had to install new brakes during the CPO process, then they probably wouldn't have been able to let the car go for $48k and make much profit (depends on how much they paid for the car). So if they had put new brakes on back in July, it's a safe bet they would have tacked a couple grand on to their bottom line price.

Either way, you'd wind up paying for new brakes. You actually came out better this way because you did manage to get 7 months use out of the old brakes.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Reggie, have you had a any gripes with the Centric posi quiets while driving in rain?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

current mileage 37500

Grab some JHM light weight rotors, they are better performing, and cost less. JHM is the ****.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Winterrunner
Grab some JHM light weight rotors, they are better performing, and cost less. JHM is the ****.
Thanks for the info...had to splurge on the OEMs in the front because dealer said it is unsafe to drive; don't think they are BSing because she does shutter while breaking.

Will try the JHM ones in the back, but I hate the look of them...wish they were drilled; kind of looks cheap and takes away from the look of the car? personal preference...like Reggie's idea on ESC!

Quick Reply: Do I have any recourse against AUDI?