RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Does anyone else here feel like the throttle is much more responsive with the ESP off?....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone else here feel like the throttle is much more responsive with the ESP off?....

Seems like even when I have full traction, the car is faster with the ESP off, especially at shifts.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's anything like in the B5, you should feel a difference.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:56 PM

Default ESP interferes, even subtly, under all conditions, IMO...

the idea where it only kicks in when there is loss of traction at one or more wheels is a pipedream.

I can feel it coming out of a sharp right turn, at low speeds, with no chance of wheel spin. I've heard the same about other car makes with ESP or equivalent.

It's a damm scourge. More and more cars, even low end econoboxes have it now. And I believe it is gov't mandated(US) by 2012, something like that. And what's more, count on there being no off feature in the near future.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought the ESP light came on when the system kicked in.....

but I gotta agree with you. Even with no light, something appears to be cutting performance every now and then in given circumstances unless you turn the system off.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default fully agree ESP ligt does'nt need to come on but slight lack of ...

responsiveness is surely felt.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM

Default What light are you talking about? The indicator in dash? I have an S4, so...

it may be different.

Oh, and I can feel it exactly the way you described it in your original post. There seems to be a slight toning down of the throttle/acceleration with ESP on.

How do you feel about turning it off every time you start your car? That idea bothers me, as the countless times the ESP/traction control/ABS has to cycle on and off begs for a breakdown at some point. You still have ASB, but the computer has to modulate those 3 things every time you turn it off. I just worry about the constant on and off messing up somewhere along the line. So, I still have it on most of the time.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes; it shuts down the power all the time. It seems like a different car with it off, maybe........

10% more. It gets old sometimes but I prefer to drive aggressively with the safety of ESP on.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It does...and it wears out brakes faster...really....

When I get in my car, the FIRST thing I do as I power up is:
A) Turn the S button on;
B) Hold the ESP button down for 6 seconds...yes, each and every time I get in the car.

The ESP works in a variety of ways, but most importantly, it applies braking force to alternating wheels to keep you from doing something stupid.

I'm not the rookie I use to be when I was 17, so I fully disable the system every single time I get in the car.

On my previous SL600, I didn't...and promptly went through a set of rear brake pads that were NOT covered under warranty in only 6000 miles. Total repairs? $975 out of pocket.

I learned two things from this experience:

A) Disable the traction control...except in slippery climates
B) Never set the e-brake when hot(actually learned that about 20 years ago in racing school). Why not? Because applying a hot e-brake to a scorching hot rotor will cause warping. Since the e-brake only affects the back brakes, only those will warp, but it's still a bad thing.

In fact, I'm SOOOO trained in this practice, I virtually never use the e-brake in any of my cars, ever, except my drift car, of course.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 PM

That's good advice.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When you drive with it off and the windows down you will be amazed how easily it spins the tires. I-

agree it limits the engine more than you think. Only major wheelspin shows up on your display IMHO.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else here feel like the throttle is much more responsive with the ESP off?....