RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Does anyone here subscribe to Car magazine(UK based)? New issue has E92 M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone here subscribe to Car magazine(UK based)? New issue has E92 M3

which I know you all love so much..especially dxben

Someone posted pics after scanning the article. I know pics have been posted of this new M3 before but man that back end is hideous looking. Leave it to Chris Bangle to fvck up a car.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/magazine.php?issue=6&amp;issue_territory=UK">http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/magazine.php?issue=6&amp;issue_territory=UK</a</li></ul>
Old 12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read it on m3post.com

420hp, price a bit lower than the RS4. Styling is horrid. Some may like it but that back end is just horrid IMO.<ul><li><a href="http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173607">http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173607</a</li></ul>
Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's interesting discussion over there...I did see those scans already

and they're too blurry unfortunately. I would have liked to have seen the written text to see what they say about it. Notice the guy at the end of the thread and the kind of car he'd rather get if that's the official pricing :-)

0-62 in 4.9sec is pretty damn good. Those guys mistakenly read it as 0-60. Published numbers by manufacturers are usually conservative too.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Keep in mind that straight currency rate conversions are rarely how it works

Global corporations rely on currency trading in their investment portfolios, including shorting currencies, in order to offset the conversion rate in markets where the opposing currency is weak. That makes it possible for a company like Audi to sell the RS4 in the US and not take a total bath.

We have no way of knowing how well their investment portfolios have performed, but corporations at this level of play typically rely on a diversified portfolio that includes hedge fund positions and quantitative finance.

There are a lot of creative ways to offset currency gaps, and that is why a straight conversion rate should never be counted on.

I think it's probably even less likely in the face of the larger scale production numbers and timeline that an M3 probably will enjoy.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Hey, I test drove the Cayman S, and I thought a lot of it for it's purpose

I was left feeling underwhelmed with regards to the interior quality, however there were no expensive leather options, and it is a truer sports car than an RS4.

It also dind't have the grunt of the RS4, but again, this is not a mark against it, just a difference worth considering.

I think the Cayman S is very cool. I am more impressed when I see one than I am when I see a 911. I see about 10 911's each day in Greenwich, CT, guess how many Caymans I see? Sometimes none in an entire week.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Comedy: Link to Jeremy Clarkson's take on the 335i coupe.

It'll be interesting to see what he says about the new M3 when it finally appears.<ul><li><a href="http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2522579,00.html">http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2522579,00.html</a</li></ul>
Old 12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No one beats Audi at the interior quality...

the engine goes without saying..a beast. I'm not sure what you meant by the "there were no expensive leather options" comment. You can get the full leather option which is pretty damn nice. All Porsches can be fitted with about anything you'd want but you pay the price of course.

Yeah I'm obviously one who likes a Cayman over a standard 911. I too see tons of them on a daily basis but not too many Caymans. I like it that way.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Oh btw, I test drove the M Coupe recently, and it made me respect the Cayman S & RS4 even more

The M Coupe sounded like a sizzly little girl with a rhaspy voice. My right knee had no chance of surviving as it bounced back and forth in it's 1" of free space under the steering wheel.

The gearbox was not as tight as the Cayman, the dash was cheaper, and the clutch was vaguer.

The only thing I will say for the M Coupe is that it has a steering wheel that both the Cayman and the RS4 should not have left the factory without. In fact it's an embarrassment, the wheel that both cars ship with.

When I got back into my RS4, I appreciated it 10x as much. BMW made a nice looking car in the M Coupe, maybe the only Bangal design I can stomach, and possible admire. But other than it's wheel and it's very nice handling, it was a total dissapointment.

And btw, as a performer, apparently the M Coupe makes it around the ring in 12 seconds less than the E46 M3, according to BMW. So I am not knocking it at that level, but from the level of a consumer, it just didn't do it for me.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL @ "big dog turd"
Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Re: No one beats Audi at the interior quality...

When I said there was no expensive leather option, I meant that it wasn't on the Cayman S that I was driving at the dealer, and I was making the point that it is an option to someone ordering the car, although at a significant price.

I think you have a great car. In terms of it's importance in the pantheon of modern performance cars, I think the Cayman S in it's own way is equal to the RS4, just in a very different way.

Who wouldn't love to own both? I think they are very complimentary when you think about it.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here subscribe to Car magazine(UK based)? New issue has E92 M3