RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DRC problem - questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRC problem - questions...

I've read a lot of the postings on this problem, but still have a few questions. When buying a used RS4... is this a problem that is isolated to a small fraction of RS4's or will all of them eventually have the problem? What is the fix and how expensive is it? If an RS4 doesn't have this problem in the first 30 or 40k miles, should it be assumed it's not a problem for that car? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default if anyone knew the answer to these questions...

...i'd buy them a cookie.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here is the fix

<ul><li><a href="http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/151233-fs-stasis-ohlins-motorsport-suspension.html">http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/151233-fs-stasis-ohlins-motor
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: DRC problem - questions...

Well... to make it sweet and simple, all RS4's will probably have DRC problems, when? Who knows. But it seems that probably over 20% of the cars out there have the issue already, just a semi educated guess based on there are ~2500 RS4's in the US and easily several hundred have failed.

Mine have not failed, but I am not banking on that staying that way for long. I have 5k miles only, but could start leaking any second.

So what to do? Well the dealers will honor 1 year 12k miles warranty, and many will work outside that because of the known problem. UK RS4 drivers were given a 5 year 72K mile warranty extension I believe, and that seems pretty reasonable given Audi is working on a redesign of sorts, at least thats what I hear.

My opinion differs from many here. I am of the belief that the suspension is pretty good when not leaking, and therefore see no need to spend the extra money out of my pocket to fix something that isn't broken or that I don't have the performance need for. I am not tracking the car anytime soon.

I also believe that Audi should spend some time and effort fixing my car before I go buy aftermarket. I paid alot for the car, so they should pay if it doesn't work right. If my DRC goes out I will probably have it repaired under warranty first, unless I am ready to spend cash at my own leisure to get Stasis. In other words, I want to get Stasis because I have a need for sport driving, track time. Not because some crappy Audi parts are forcing my hand. I think Audi or any manufacturer that makes garbage should bear the brunt of repairs. Its a principle thing. Yeah I would love Stasis, but can't just go drop $4k on a kit because my warrantied struts are going to go bad sometime. I will drop $4k because they will be kick *** and I have a need for it.

What to look for on a used car when buying? Well get under and look at the struts, there are tons of pics on here that show what they look like leaking. If they are, its not the end of the deal I would think. Instead it is a chance to work some negotiating magic! Have them knock of $$$ especially if past the 1yr/12k mile warranty. This way you may be able to save enough on the car price to go get some Stasis right away. Remember Stasis costs $2900 for SL's and $3900 for MS's, so negotiate hard!
Old 12-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You need to do what I did

Buy the car, which I did new, because it is an awesome car. Acknowledge the DRC will fail someday. I don't know when for the particular RS4 you acquire. Mine has failed three times in 8000 miles and I am just driving the car. For the record, I have performed none of the hooligan activities performed by the Boys of Hazzard County. I have never, repeat never, jumped a river in the car in an effort to evade Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

My first failure resulted from the trip across the North Atlantic in a box and delayed delivery of the car. Maybe that counts with the "jumping the river" as technically it crossed the pond. Regardless...

AoA has told me the warranty is 4 year 50K miles. My plan (at least for now) is to keep bringing it back and getting the parts replaced. One more failure and I am in lemon territory. I am noticing a faint citrus scent already. I have not yet decided what I plan to do with the fourth failure, which will occur. It is only a matter of when.

The local technician is getting a lot of practice with my car and with that I hope he will get faster with swapping the parts out. I am optimistic he can do the next install in two days.

At some point, I will STASIS the car. Buy your RS4 knowing that someday you will need to pony up for a new suspension. It is a great car. It really is. I had a B7S4, which was a great car and served me well. This is a whole other level of performance. It is a well sorted out package (DRC not withstanding). You will love the car. You really will.

As bizarre as this sounds, it doesn't feel fast anymore. It is only when I occasionally take the bait and run past someone at a stop light or decide to play on the open road am I reminded how far this car is beyond "normal" cars. It is truly ridiculous and not in the least little bit reasonable. That, and the better mileage than I got from my B7S4, is what I love most. Admittedly, I did't buy the car for the fuel economy.

Buy it. Get a good deal, as there are many to be had right now. Enjoy the car. You will not regret it.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Default How do you know when DRC failure

What happens when it fails?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default two things

clunking over bumps with a bit of pogo-ing, too.

Oil on the shocks.