RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

E60 M5 vs RS4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E60 M5 vs RS4

What do you think?
seems like they have similar performance on 1/4mile and 0-60.
Anyone test-drive or own one can shed more light?
I am more interested about daily driving, freeway ramp cornering that kind of comparison =)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

there are at least 2 people here who have owned both.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default RS4>M5 and i'll tell you why...

The M5 is fast but thats it. The RS4 just has a great suspension feel, great brakes and you can't beat the seats. Also you can't drive an M5 in the winter as the RS4 you can because of Quattro. The RS4 0-60 times are close to an M5 4.2-4.5 but it is easier to launch the RS4 because of 4wd. 1/4 time are very close when i was at the track 2-3 months ago i was running 13.0-13.20 when an M5 ran 12.80-13.30. RS4 Rules!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Counterpoint...

I've owned both and for a year drove both alternatively as my daily. The M5 is faster but there's much more to it than just speed. The M5 had more compliant suspension in comfort mode and is a much more comfortable long-range cruiser but on the other hand can become more annoying in stop-and-go city traffic because SMG with a "broken-in" clutch and 4100 lbs of love to lug around don't mix very well. So really it's a toss-up depending on where/how you live/drive. Yes the 0-60 is close but the 0-100 and beyond is not so close, especially from a more "street realistic" rolling start. The RS4 is not easier to launch in dry conditions because there are too many variables and in particular, AWD is not easy to launch consistently unless you're referring to 5k rpm quattro dumps in which case you can kiss your clutch goodbye in a short period of time. The M5 is easier to launch in dry conditions because it is simply a matter of releasing the SMG lever in launch control mode and modulating the throttle just a bit. I live in Chicago, so I chose to keep the RS4 for all-year versatility and city driving with little plans to take it on road trips, and the fact that I love its manual gearbox and engine note at idle and at full wail. If the the RS4 was my only car, I'd probably tire of it sooner. If I still lived in California with many highway commutes, I'd still have the M5. It has much more creature comforts and luxury amenities (while still retaining a sporty feel) than the RS4 and the iDrive is a much better system than the RS4's unnecessarily tedious headache-inducing Nav+ "MMI".

AUDIFAN008, search the archives, I think I've shared my insights comparing the two cars on more than several occasions.

Both great cars, can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i drove both before deciding on RS4, and here is why

what i loved about the m5 --

V10, what is there not to love about a V10
SMG, i loved it, i know that most others hate it

what i didnt love about the m5 --

feels and looks huge, even though similar weight to RS4
exterior and interior styling
too common
Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well now that I have a whole 1K of driving it...

What would you expect me to say, I just bought it!

Actually I never could fully embrace the RS4, not sure if it was the 6 speed or my lack of spending quality minutes getting to drive it in California traffic, I don't miss it or think about it.

I had a Stasis equipped RS4 and will say that it hands down was a better cornering machine than the M5...hands down. Thats it.

I live in a section of the country that has storm graphics at the ready when we get drizzle so AWD was about useless to me. What I loved about the RS4 and why I bought it was the terrific looks. The car looks great, the flares, the brakes and the understated but exceptional interior are without peer....from 2 years ago.

I am by nature always looking at my next car the day after I buy one. I get every car magazine delivered to my door, I bombard myself in temptation so that I can never fully be satisfied because no one car can do everything for me.

The RS4 was my first Audi, I wanted a R8 but fate prevented it so I went back to the manufacturer that I have bought 11 cars from and been delighted for the most part each and every time, BMW.

The M5 for this point in my life is perfect. Its faster than the RS4 and it does it with little effort from me. Not sure about all the numbers but R&T has 4.1 on the long-term M5 at 0-60 and I believe it. There is an on-ramp that I use to gage my cars for the past 7-8 years and the best I could do safely with the RS4 was 87mph, my E46 M3 was 82. I have not taken the M5 yet because I still have 200 miles left in break-in. However, don't laugh, the fastest car I have had on it was a Volvo S60 R with many mods at 95mph and I think it had much more left with a better driver.

Comfort and electronics...hands down M5...not even worth discussing. The HUD is the single greatest invention ever!
The fact Pontiac had one 10 years ago and Audi and others do not is a crime.

Space- M5

Looks- I love the E60 M5 but to be fair the RS4 is just beautiful.

Price- my M5 sticker was 212 dollars short of 100k with a 9,300 discount so not to bad but still!

If I was rich I would not own both, they are just to similar. One cannot go wrong with either car.

I feel very lucky to have owned both.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Counterpoint...

in what way the M5 is faster?
from what I read 0-60 0-100(1/4 mile) is pretty close and I doubt I can feel the rush, do you mean 100mph and beyond?

People in m5 board complain lag of torqe, I just assume is the RS4 cases too where power is at higher end?

I live in CA and do lots of freeway 40miles round trip.

how about cornering? do they feel about the same or the RS4 is alot better?

"Both great cars, can't go wrong with either."
What if going from RS4 to that? It seems like is not that big of a gain or not sure if there will be a gain.....
Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts
Default HUD is cool until you put on polarized sun glasses or did they fix this now?

My guess is not. I was cracking up when I test drove a 335 and the radio went dark when I put on my sun glasses, but I could still read the climate control.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Really not the same class of car.......

M5 is larger and costs $25,000 more. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are 4-door German cars. The M5 is faster, pure and simple. The real question is whether or not, on the balance sheet, it is worth the extra $25,000.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default disagree

the M5s are very plentiful and quite discounted. the difference between a brand new M5 and brand new RS4 locally was like $10k. for most people buying an $80k'ish car, not enough to make a difference.

they weigh the same (close enough) and have similar acceleration times (with the nod to the M5). until the recent release of the new M3/C63 AMG, the M5 was really actually the most logical competitor to the RS4

all IMHO of course

Quick Reply: E60 M5 vs RS4