RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

ECS Tuning H-Pipe installation and review (edited for pic captions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ECS Tuning H-Pipe installation and review (edited for pic captions)

I've wanted a resonator eliminator pipe for the RS4 for over a year and a half. Based upon previous experience with my 2003 M5, the H-pipe (it was called an X-Pipe in that application) was the best bang for the buck. I later put a Tubi on the car and loved it, but it cost 5 times more - was it worth it? I always believed that the X-pipe was the better choice.

The ECS H-Pipe. Under $300 and delivered to my door in 39 hours with standard shipping rates. The beauty of this thing is that you get to retain the beautiful and durable stock oval tailpipes, same cool sport button (flaps), it sounds the same as stock but more volume, and weighs less. Weight and appearance: The ECS Tuning H-Pipe is stainless steel and comes fully polished with neat welds and very high quality. For some odd reason, it was full of fingerprints coming out of the plastic wrap. Packaging was fine, no installation instructions were included. Not a problem for me, I used to be a pro wrench. But installation instructions definitely should be included for a part like this. Weighed on a postal scale, it was 15 pounds including the required clamps. The stock resonator was 24.5 pounds on a digital bathroom scale, so about a 10 pound weight reduction.

Installation:

Tools needed: Four jack stands and floor jacks, floor creeper (or lift), 13mm socket and 13mm deep socket for the front pipe clamps and rear pipe bracket, 9/16" deep socket for the ECS clamps, M10 3-square drive for the four bolts on the support brace under the cats, sawzall with 18 tpi blade suitable for cutting stainless steel (an ordinary blade will not do), channel lock pliers to release the hanger from the rubber supports. Anti-Seize compound was used on all bolts for reassembly.

After measuring all the pipes to ensure compatibility, the work began an about 7:00 p.m. Total job took about 2.5 hours including photo breaks plus custom fabricating clamps too about 30 minutes of that. It really was very easy! All clamps and bolts came off super-easy as butter with my car (15,000 miles). It turns out that the included ECS clamps are standard NAPA 2.5 stainless steel sleeve clamps, but the pipe is 60mm metric (2.349"). The included clamps WILL NOT WORK and you'll be standed like I was. Fortunately, I had four 3" sleeve clamps on hand that I cut up and used for sizing to get me by until I voice a complaint with ECS Tuning.

Results: Just like my M5 with a similar pipe, the sound is identical to stock, just more volume. It seems about as loud as stock with Sport On. But punch the sport button (open the flaps) an whooaaa! It sounds fantastic! My test drive was as I usually drive - with the smaller portion of the back seat down. The sound is perfect that way. With the H-Pipe - wow! I tried all combinations of low rpm/gear but NO DRONE or resonation.... just like my M5. Very nice. The surprising thing was throttle responce - it seemed much improved. As expected, rev matching was much easier thanks to more volume, but I also think throttle response plays a roll as well. Power seemed as good or better, but butt-dynos are influenced by the other senses (sound). And don't give me that BS that the engine "needs" backpressure. - I ain't buying that horse shibby. That's how cat-backs INCREASE horsepower. They don't so it on good looks!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 05-09-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it sound like cruising at 80mph? how much louder than stock?

That is the most irritating thing about obnoxiously loud exhausts.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Default what about for someone with absolutly no instalation knowledge, (or tools for that matter)

how much should i pay to have it instlalled?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like a good question for a muffler shop.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so no welding required? I thought you'd have to pull the whole thing off first.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No welding, clamps are used at both ends. Let the mufflers hang, no need for removal.

Makes it very easy to go back to stock. Probably less than an hour's work.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd

I listed all the tools needed, but consider this: A muffler shop did the x-pipe on my M5 and it included 4 cuts, 4 welds, weighed twice as much, cost me $80.

This system only has two cuts and no welds.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Very civil, about the same as stock w/ Sport On (flaps open) until...

...you give it throttle, then it's louder. No drone. Based upon my last 5 car exhaust systems, at some point I'll likely return this one to stock exhaust - that's what I do.

Not much need for Sport anymore, other than racing.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Civil - about same as stock w/Sport On, until...

...you give it throttle, then it's louder. No drone. Open the flaps and give it some gas and OMG! Not much need for Sport anymore, other than racing.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: ECS Tuning H-Pipe installation and review (edited for pic captions)