RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Edmunds TMV - Accurate or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds TMV - Accurate or Not?

I'm still in the market for a CPO RS4. I've been shopping 2007 models as they are a better fit with my price range. Edmunds TMV for a CPO, with Premium, in perfect condition, with ~30,000 miles is $47,200. But I haven't been able to get any dealers to budge below ~$48,500. Out of three cars, all listed for $50k, I got one to drop to $48,300, another to drop to $48,700 and the other won't budge at all.

I passed on the $48,300 car b/c I didn't like the clear bra. I played hardball on the $48,700 car, only to find out the car sold while I was waiting, hoping the dealer would come down.

So is it possible that Edmunds in $1500 off target? I've recently sold three cars private party, and traded one at a dealer. All four times (after months of advertising), Edmunds TMV actually proved a few hundred higher than what I was able to get (all cars were pristine).

So, I've found another RS4 within driving distance, also listed for $50k. I was planning on offering $48,500. Is that too much. Not that $1500 really matters that much when your talking about a $50k car, but it's just the principle of it. If I pay too much over book value, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Just curious to see what you all think is a fair price for a 2007 CPO with 30,000 miles, and if it's lower than $48,500, what negotiation techniques should I be using to get dealers to come down.

It's tough because dealers rarely have the motivation to move cars as quickly as private party. There is a BMW dealer just around the block from me. They had a used 335 on the lot for the past 7 months!!!! Don't they care that the car probably depreciated $3-4K during that time?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a friend in the car selling business. The average rs4 on auction was going for around 37-38k when I checked with him about 2 months ago. How far are you from North Carolina?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LoresonDE
I have a friend in the car selling business. The average rs4 on auction was going for around 37-38k when I checked with him about 2 months ago. How far are you from North Carolina?
I'm in Philly. I'm playing tennis with a guy who has an "Auction Friend" tomorrow. Maybe I'll see if he can put me in touch with him. One thing that concerns me about buying a auction car - no warranty and no legal recourse if you get stuck with an absolute turd.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I was offered 40k (actually "$39,685") for mine in trade on the cab I bought. I have mine listed at 45 with wiggle room (and I am in VA... wink wink). I have been offered 39k, but why would I do that when a dealer will give me that with no hassles, sight unseen?

At the end of the day, the TMV is what it sells for.

BTW, trade in on mine is listed at 44k on KBB. Not sure where these numbers come from.

Last edited by JMSIV; 08-30-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

KBB is way off. Dealers love to reference that number because it's very inflated.

I've found Edmunds TMV to be very accurate. I recently sold my 330i. The trade in offer, as well as what I eventually sold it for private party were dead on. A couple other cars I've sold have sat for months until I dropped the price $500 below TMV - then they finally sold.

But for some reason, this does not appear to be the case with CPO RS4s. I've had two potential deals, 48.3 and 48.7. Both are well over Edmunds TMV of 47.2. But the dealers laughed at an offer of 47.5 and said not even close. I thought I would call their bluff and walk out. They let me walk right out. One of the cars has since sold, so I'm assuming they got 48.7 (or close) for it.

I'm getting the feeling that if I want a pristine 2007 CPO with ~30,000 mile and only continue to offer the TMV of 47.2, I'm going to be waiting a long, long time. In a few months, the TMV will drop to 46, so I'll lower my offers and keep waiting, waiting, waiting...

I'm wondering if the dealers know it's a rare care, so they are applying the laws of supply and demand. It's not like I have a lot of options here - unless I wait a couple months for a fresh batch of RS4's to show up on AutoTrader. But I would think that Edmunds TMV would take rarity into account - I thought that number was based on an average of actual transactions?

Maybe shopping in expensive cities like NY, Philly and DC isn't helping? Then again, I'm not going to drive halfway across the country just to save a couple bucks.

Originally Posted by JMSIV
Well, I was offered 40k (actually "$39,685") for mine in trade on the cab I bought. I have mine listed at 45 with wiggle room (and I am in VA... wink wink). I have been offered 39k, but why would I do that when a dealer will give me that with no hassles, sight unseen?

At the end of the day, the TMV is what it sells for.

BTW, trade in on mine is listed at 44k on KBB. Not sure where these numbers come from.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spagolli94
I'm in Philly. I'm playing tennis with a guy who has an "Auction Friend" tomorrow. Maybe I'll see if he can put me in touch with him. One thing that concerns me about buying a auction car - no warranty and no legal recourse if you get stuck with an absolute turd.
You shouldnt have to settle, when I say auction I mean a dealer only auction (example: audi selling to other audi dealers). I got my mazdaspeed 6 with the remaining warranty left on it and a gaurantee that if the car arrived and was not in the condition given it would go back, no strings attached (this was dealer to dealer at that point).

Dont settle or it will bother you the life of the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spagolli94
I'm still in the market for a CPO RS4. I've been shopping 2007 models as they are a better fit with my price range. Edmunds TMV for a CPO, with Premium, in perfect condition, with ~30,000 miles is $47,200. But I haven't been able to get any dealers to budge below ~$48,500. Out of three cars, all listed for $50k, I got one to drop to $48,300, another to drop to $48,700 and the other won't budge at all.

I passed on the $48,300 car b/c I didn't like the clear bra. I played hardball on the $48,700 car, only to find out the car sold while I was waiting, hoping the dealer would come down.

So is it possible that Edmunds in $1500 off target? I've recently sold three cars private party, and traded one at a dealer. All four times (after months of advertising), Edmunds TMV actually proved a few hundred higher than what I was able to get (all cars were pristine).

So, I've found another RS4 within driving distance, also listed for $50k. I was planning on offering $48,500. Is that too much. Not that $1500 really matters that much when your talking about a $50k car, but it's just the principle of it. If I pay too much over book value, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Just curious to see what you all think is a fair price for a 2007 CPO with 30,000 miles, and if it's lower than $48,500, what negotiation techniques should I be using to get dealers to come down.

It's tough because dealers rarely have the motivation to move cars as quickly as private party. There is a BMW dealer just around the block from me. They had a used 335 on the lot for the past 7 months!!!! Don't they care that the car probably depreciated $3-4K during that time?
PM sent.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Part of my issue of trying to go the auction route is time. I'm self employed and bill by the hour. Every minute I spend looking for a better deal actually costs me money so I have to be careful not to be penny wise, pound foolish.

I really need this to be an easy process. Like go to the dealer, drive the car, put some money down, sign a couple financing paper and go home with a car and CPO warranty. I just offered $48k for another 2007 CPO today. Denied. I'll see what their counter is.

Dealers don't appear to be in a hurry to move these cars.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
YRS
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Another Dealer Perspective

My little brother sells Jags and Lotuses out west, had a guy trading in a 08 RS4 for a new Jag. He called me to discuss values on the car because so few RS4s go through the auction; he understood a couple of examples didn't establish a trend. Also, he felt the auction cars tended to be on the rough side and didn't provide a viable baseline. He noted that when he shopped values around other dealers the general impression was that the cars were unique and that the right buyer would pay top dollar for them. I went through the same evolution with my 01 M Coupe. For a while, the dealers couldn't give them away. Then a couple of years after production ended, people woke up.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove a 2008 today with half as many miles as the 2007 I drove last week. If anything, the 2007 was in better shape, and $10k cheaper. So I'm definitely leaning towards a 2007 CPO.

I found one in MD. Like the others I've been shopping, they have it listed for $50k. I offered $48k, which is still technically above TMV. They responded with utter BS:

"Car is CPO, so we can't meet you at $48K. Most dealers price car at no CPO then tack on that charge if you want it certified. Ours is already done."

Can somebody tell me of ONE instance were an Audi dealer makes a deal for a CPO car at a non-CPO price, then tries to tack on CPO fees later? Didn't think so. I was floored by such a cheesy BS sales line.

I told them I was willing to drive 3 hours to come look at the car on Wednesday, which is my only truly free day this week. The saleswoman said, "I'm really busy and don't have time to show the car to you on Wednesday, but can do Thurs, Fri, or Sat."

I then responded by offering $48.5, which is smack dab in the middle of the two other CPO offers and told them I could bring a check for the full amount on Thursday. Crickets. Not even an email response. Is $48.5 not a fair offer for this car?

There are six 2007 CPO Carbon Gray within driving distance:
One has the stupid bra. Sucks. Other than that, that car was perfect for me.
Two have too many miles
One just sold
One has an accident on its CarFax. It's dirt cheap ($45k for CPO) but f-that.
And the other... Won't call me back.

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow to see if I can request a different salesperson who isn't so busy. Either that or just wait for something more promising to come along.

I test drove a 335 today. It was much more powerful and more supple than my 330 (which just left my driveway for the last time tonight). But the 335 failed to stir my soul the way the RS4 does. And the turbo lag was annoying. Plus the RS4 has the ability to turn heads. The 335 does not. Not that it really matters, but it is a cool feeling when you pull into a gas station and people come up and talk to you about your ride.

This could prove to be a long wait, but hopefully worth it.

Originally Posted by YRS
My little brother sells Jags and Lotuses out west, had a guy trading in a 08 RS4 for a new Jag. He called me to discuss values on the car because so few RS4s go through the auction; he understood a couple of examples didn't establish a trend. Also, he felt the auction cars tended to be on the rough side and didn't provide a viable baseline. He noted that when he shopped values around other dealers the general impression was that the cars were unique and that the right buyer would pay top dollar for them. I went through the same evolution with my 01 M Coupe. For a while, the dealers couldn't give them away. Then a couple of years after production ended, people woke up.

Quick Reply: Edmunds TMV - Accurate or Not?