RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Euro Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Steering Wheel

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem on my hands here... I have searched and read through a lot of threads but I'd appreciate direct answers.

As I ordered my RS4 Avant, I told Audi that i did not want that awful cradle for the bluetooth functions. Those idiots didnt tell me that I'd have to sacrifice my flat bottomed steering wheel for the bluetooth in the armrest(grrrr)!!! (I live in Switzerland, that is why the flat bottomed steering wheel was an option for me ;-) )

Now,
I have the multi-function wheel fitted and I know that I want to retro-fit the flat one.

Is it possible to have the SPORT BUTTON activated on the new flat wheel? and is it possible to have the remaining 3 buttons like "SET" and "+" "-" done up to work like they should? Like Mr. Stahmann I don't care if I have to move my hand a few inches to turn the volume up or down, I do this most of the time anyway.
I know that there are code errors by simply changing the wheel. All I would like is to have a Flat bottomed steering wheel with all its functions working especially the SPORT button. a perfect retro-fit. No matter the cost. Is this possible? has this been done? (especially you guys because the EURO wheel was never an option for you and many of you like it's looks)

Please Audiworld, don't let me down like Audi has done... and like all the embarassingly quiet, non responsive, horrible european forums that are full of owners that never change anything on their cars.

Thanks so much in advance,

Best Regards,
Yannick
Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default super easy instal that can be done in under 30 min

its really as simple as removing the old one (2 torx screws and 1 triple square) and putting the new one on in reverse. then you just need a vag com to code the new steering wheel.

Steering Wheel:
Stock - 04441
New - 06021

Telephone:
Stock - 0011877
New - 0010877

Navigation:
Stock - 0309637
New - 0309633

(codes via fluffhead)
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Re: super easy instal that can be done in under 30 min

Wow thankyou for your detailed reply!

So just to get it all straight: this WILL make the the sport button on the dash inactive and will activate the one on the steering wheel? seeing as i dont need the scrolling down on the wheel, i do not want this mod to then make the buttons + and - to regulate volume, if thats not what they are destined to do.

that said, is the "set" for cruise control? and + and - for accel. and decel.?

Sorry if these may be stupid questions...

Oh, one last thing... after the VAGCOM configuration, will there be warnings showing up on screens?

Thankyou ever so much,

Yannick
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thats correct, your dash button WILL be DEACTIVATED and your steering wheel will now

control your sport button and as for the set, +, and - those will control your onboard computer( tire pressure, lap timer, etc.) if you notice, on your windshield wiper stalk, the button on the bottom is the old set button and the up down buttons at the end of the stalk are the old + and -. there is no way for the flat bottom wheel to control your radio. but hey who cares your in your car to DRIVE not listen to music and answer the phone :P

o and if it is programmed correctly you shouldnt have any warnings as this piece is meant for the car
Old 10-03-2008, 09:16 AM

is there ANY way for the Euro wheel to control the radio? or is it simply out of the question?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think anyone has figured that out...yet.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:38 AM

I can guarantee a spike in Euro wheel sales if someone figures that out
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Default this may be a naive question, but...

does putting a new steering wheel on run any risk of messing with the airbag deployment sensors, however that gets re-conected? i mentioned changing out to an RS6 wheel to the service manager at my dealership, and she scared me out of it.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is always a risk I guess, but the RS6 wheel would be a higher one...

The Euro RS4 wheel was designed for our cars and the airbags needed are the ones for our cars. Some say only the euro RS4 airbag is safe while others, including myself run an A8 one. Someone told me the A8 and euro RS4 airbag had the same part #, before there was one specifically for the RS4, and the computer in the car is what tells the airbag what to do.

As for the RS6 wheel and airbag, I'm sure the wheel would be fine, but the airbag is not the one from our cars. It's the RS6, TT, R8 and I'm guessing newer Audi's with a round airbag.

So, since no one has actually crash tested any of these setups, there is not way to know for sure what would happen.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: TT MFSW

i took that risk and put in a TT MFSW in my RS4 cab...absolutely love it...waiting to see if i can get an RS6 wheel from Europrice or someplace else with white stiching since i can use the same TT bag. I'll take pics soon.