Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

Should I go louder or stealthier?

Is the non Res really loud?

How much and where do I order mine?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a non res Milltek and think it’s too loud. To me it’s not the right sound for a luxury German sports sedan and will be installing the resonators on the exhaust tomorrow. I will let you know the sound difference. I am hoping to get some video clips of before and after and will post on here if I can figure it out.

Stratmosphere for Milltek is a good place.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny this question comes up constantly. Just install an ECS Tuning H-Pipe for $300 and be done.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Videos showing the sound from outside the car don't really give you a great idea of how it sounds within. The RS4 is very well insulated for sound. While all the systems available (Milltek, GMG, Tubi, MTM, Magnaflow) all sound aggressive enough from the outside, they can be very different inside. Important issues:

1. There's little evidence to suggest that any catback exhaust results in significantly more power. Given that most people on this forum feel their cars are faster by a seat of the pants assessment, I think there probably is some difference, but not much. Downpipes, etc also don't seem to make much difference. Changing your downpipes/catalytic convertors can void your powertrain warranty.
2. Resonated vs. non-resonated. The resonator is an extra "muffler" (sorry, not sure if I'm describing this properly) closer to the downpipes or just behind the downpipes which is part of the stock system. Non-resonated systems simply remove this.

My resonated Tubi is plenty loud from the outside and sounds really cool. Tubi is on the more expensive side, but far less expensive than MTM's system. MTM makes a system that reportedly can be adjusted electronically for loudness via a remote but the catback is $4950 and if you get downpipes its over 10k! My Tubi cost about $3k. I chose it because the few people who chose it all love it. There's little or no droning and the welding and construction are great. All the systems are very nice, but I've seen some guys complain about the welding and finish on the Millteks (not criticizing, just what I've read).

Cost;
Millteks: $1500-1800 for non-flapped, $2500-3000 for the ones with flaps like the stock system
Magnaflow -- $800-1200 no flap option
Tubi -- $2500-3500 no flap.
GMG -- $1500-2000 no flaps

Tubi, Milltek offer quads or oval tips like stock. GMG is oval only. Magnaflow and MTM are quad only as far as I know.

Hope this helps
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Strange3
I have a non res Milltek and think it’s too loud. To me it’s not the right sound for a luxury German sports sedan and will be installing the resonators on the exhaust tomorrow. I will let you know the sound difference. I am hoping to get some video clips of before and after and will post on here if I can figure it out.

Stratmosphere for Milltek is a good place.
Will be looking forward to your results. Debating over a RES vs NON-RES and leaning toward the RES, although a less popular option, more fitting the nature of the RS4.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the away, non res. Going to pick up car this afternoon with the res put on. I will try and get video clip tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9AJYTYaig
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From the video I am not sure how much you can tell but it’s a little more quite inside now and you can hear the engine more. The hum, drone and back pop is much more minimal. I hope the video helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLKp2pAQt58
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeJR
Videos showing the sound from outside the car don't really give you a great idea of how it sounds within. The RS4 is very well insulated for sound. While all the systems available (Milltek, GMG, Tubi, MTM, Magnaflow) all sound aggressive enough from the outside, they can be very different inside. Important issues:

1. There's little evidence to suggest that any catback exhaust results in significantly more power. Given that most people on this forum feel their cars are faster by a seat of the pants assessment, I think there probably is some difference, but not much. Downpipes, etc also don't seem to make much difference. Changing your downpipes/catalytic convertors can void your powertrain warranty.
2. Resonated vs. non-resonated. The resonator is an extra "muffler" (sorry, not sure if I'm describing this properly) closer to the downpipes or just behind the downpipes which is part of the stock system. Non-resonated systems simply remove this.

My resonated Tubi is plenty loud from the outside and sounds really cool. Tubi is on the more expensive side, but far less expensive than MTM's system. MTM makes a system that reportedly can be adjusted electronically for loudness via a remote but the catback is $4950 and if you get downpipes its over 10k! My Tubi cost about $3k. I chose it because the few people who chose it all love it. There's little or no droning and the welding and construction are great. All the systems are very nice, but I've seen some guys complain about the welding and finish on the Millteks (not criticizing, just what I've read).

Cost;
Millteks: $1500-1800 for non-flapped, $2500-3000 for the ones with flaps like the stock system
Magnaflow -- $800-1200 no flap option
Tubi -- $2500-3500 no flap.
GMG -- $1500-2000 no flaps

Tubi, Milltek offer quads or oval tips like stock. GMG is oval only. Magnaflow and MTM are quad only as far as I know.

Hope this helps
I thought Tubi was rear mufflers only and not a full cat-back system. The Tubi tips also aren't properly contoured, cut, positioned, or staggered to fit the RS4. They look "stuck on" in a very arbitrary way...like they took an off-the-shelf end piece and just welded a little piping to connect with the stock exhaust. I personally also dislike the unequal sized tips but that is just a matter of tastes.

The sound is great and this had the potential to be a really great product. The skimped on the installaton details, however, and therefore are, IMO, a failure, especially given the price.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Vijay,
I don't know my Tubi quads look pretty good to me. The pipes themselves are well finished. Are you sure you've seen a tubi installed? You're right it's only a muffler system. I felt the quad Millteks looked thin walled and a little cheap in construction. Oh well, glad we both enjoy what we each chose
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeJR
Hey Vijay,
I don't know my Tubi quads look pretty good to me. The pipes themselves are well finished. Are you sure you've seen a tubi installed? You're right it's only a muffler system. I felt the quad Millteks looked thin walled and a little cheap in construction. Oh well, glad we both enjoy what we each chose
As I said, the styling is an individual choice. I'm not questioning the quality of the construction either. It looks very well built. I have seen it installed. My only real complaint is that it doesn't look like it was specifically designed for the RS4. Every other system out there has at least the tips properly contoured to the RS4's rear end.

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions