RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

first track day with the RS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first track day with the RS4

I just got back from my very first track day at Laguna Seca. It was a ton of fun and I'd recommend it to anyone with an RS4.

The event was run by Driving Concepts from Southern California (www.drivingconcepts.com). I highly recommend Driving Concept's high performance driving events to anyone who's ever thought about going on a track. They're top notch, well organized and highly professional. They had 1 instructor per driver, with the instructor in the car with you, while you guys are hooked up with a microphone/earpiece. It makes for awesome communication/instruction.

The instructors are great and the other drivers/students are cool. My instructor was racing legend Tony Adamowicz. Tony drove the RS4 for about 8 laps and he was really impressed with the car's capabilities. It was awesome to sit in the passenger seat as he manuevered the car effortlessly, doing things with it that you just can't do on the street. However, when he was ready to let it really rip, the tires held him back (more on the tires below).

I learned a lot about the RS4 through this track day. First, the brake performance was phenomenal. I had no problems with the brake pads or rotors whatsoever, and the car's stopping power at high speed was surprising. BTW, I still have original rotors and pads with 21,000 miles and they held up great at this event.

Second, the Stasis Ohlins suspension and H-sport sway bars were superb. The RS4 was very agile. I had 2 instructors drive my car, and there were both very impressed with the car's handling, especially after I told them how heavy the car was (they both thought the car was lightweight, as it handled that way).

Third, the gearbox was flimsy and had too much play. I have a JHM shifter and it's been making some rattling noises at higher rpms, so that may be an issue. However, the shifting never felt secure. I also wish there was more pressure on the clutch (like my GT2)...it's just too light and somewhat nebulous.

Fourth, and the biggest problem, was the tires. I was running brand new Michelin PS2's. They are apparently good street tires, but they simply don't cut it on the track. They pushed hard and wouldn't stick, even after making adjustments (I also had a race alignment done prior to the event and dropped tire pressure to 38 psi after hot, front/rear).

The tires was the single factor that held back the car's performance. I've read a lot of positive comments online about the Michelin's, but several folks I spoke to at the track didn't have good comments about Michelins in general. The point is that I need a track set up, and I'm not sure there's anything for the RS4 for 19's. I need suggestions/help here.

The bottom line is that the RS4 is very forgiving on the track, with its 4-wheel drive and abundant torque and horsepower. You can make mistakes and not pay for them as you would in other cars. It's a good car to take as a first track event. Ultimately though, the wheel/tire config needs to be addressed, ie: what size tires work with OEM wheels...has anyone done 18" wheels..offsets? I'd like a setup just for the track. Any suggestions are helpful.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: first track day with the RS4

Great write up.

I am thinking of hitting the track for the first time with RS4 to get better feel for the car. Given all the comments about the brakes, I am glad to hear yours held up great. Did you have do any brake flush before heading out?

Thanks

07 Daytona Gray. Venture Shield Clear Bra.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Glad you had fun. Did you try different settings on the suspension? The PS2s are excellent tires...

For street use. I reckon they are the best tires I have ever had on a car but would not use them on the track 9in dry conditions) although I used mine on a very rainy track day where they were phenomenal in the wet in standing water.

Since you are accustomed to track days, I suggest that if tracking the RS4 often is in your future plans then you should definitely get another set of wheel and track tires. Perhaps there are light weight 18 inch wheels that can fit over the RS4's brake calipers if not a 19 inch heel will have to do. Then you could get a good set of R compound tires and you would be set for good fun at the track.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Did you change the settings on the Stasis Ohlins for the track?

I tracked my car last year and came to pretty much the same conclusions as you. The difference is I was running the car stock and the limiting factor was the suspension. I plan to run the Stasis Motorsport setup this year and have a feeling I will run into the same issue with tires that you did.

Have you gone to any ACNA track events? How did Driving Concepts compare? How much did they charge? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

Default Re: first track day with the RS4

i didn't do anything on the brakes beforehand. Honestly, I was a bit worried, but they held up great. I'm still going to put on track pads the next time I'm out on the track.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default one recommendation

if you remove your front H-Sport bar and replace it with the OEM bar the car will understeer less.

my 2cents
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Did you change the settings on the Stasis Ohlins for the track?

I've never gone to any ACNA events, so I have nothing to compare there. It probably also depends on who's managing any particular day.

Driving Concepts is run by Judy Ray and I was amazed by how organized she was. A lot of planning went into the event. She raced Porsches for 17 years. She also works for Crevier BMW. There were lots of BMW instructors there. I've heard comments that Driving Concepts is the best driving school in CA and is considered one of the best in the US.

The focus was about having a good time, but with safety, rules, and communication at the forefront. The personnel at Laguna Seca were excellent. Judy had 5 corner workers. I've heard many stories of horribly managed events with no rules and poor communication, which ultimately leads to catastrophic accidents and tragedies (California Speedway Carrera GT crash that claimed 2 lives).

There are drivers of different skill and experience levels, so it's up to the organizer to take it seriously and not throw novice drivers onto the track with other experienced drivers without any instruction. It was ironic that at our event, the cockiest driver who drove a Porsche GT3-RS was the only driver that got off the track. This was his 6th run at Laguna Seca in December, and he was early into turn 9 and ended up in the gravel bed. He'll be picking rocks out of his car for a while (the gravel was up in his rotors and engine bay).
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Default No adjustments were made on the Stasis Ohlins

My instructor Tony thought it was pointless if the tires were already not holding up. We couldn't take the corners any faster, and he thought the suspension was already performing well.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much do you want to spend on wheel/tire set-up? The ultimate is......

a set of custom 19x9.5 wheels from 360Forged. Weight =20.7lbs, then a 275/30/19 track compound tire. That set-up will cost about $8000, all totalled.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't call that ultimate.

BBS Magnesiums with a center bore conversion would probably be ultimate. heck throw in some airjacks.

Quick Reply: first track day with the RS4