RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

that flat spot I was having at WOT in S mode seems to have disappeared....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that flat spot I was having at WOT in S mode seems to have disappeared....

...I'm thinking it may have been a bad tank of gas. My wife and I both filled up at a Shell station we don't usually use, and both cars developed problems....RS4 developed the power drop I described previously, and the 750i (with only 13k miles on it) had the in-tank fuel pump die 1 day after filling up. Coincidence perhaps, but I've switched to a different Shell station for the last couple of tanks, and now the car is running fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

chevron ftw...
Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

shell and chevron are both 'top tier', but any particular station can have contaminated tanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 AM
kem
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default let me share my reasons why I say that.

I know Shell has recently started to push their v-power or whatever and they are probably on par with Chevron now. So my info might be slightly out of date.

I talked to a guy who worked for a company that sells fuel additives. Needless to say they have done plenty of testing into different fuels. A) he told chevron was always above all others in tests B) since his company basically sells whats techron is in a concentrated form you can buy at the auto store. He said techron was so good that it has more additives in it then a single bottle of the stuff he sells. Needless to say their business is struggling to find new ways to innovate, because if you use Chevron you have no need to buy their stuff.

I can't (and won't) go into who he was or where he worked (lets not even guess) but I would just say this isn't just some guy I bumped into, and I have very good reasons to believe what he tells me.

So I've always used Chevron since and have never had any problems. Thats not to say others have not caught up to Chevron.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not doubting that...but all the additives in the world won't help a contaminated fuel source.

obviously problems can occur at the local station level that the manufacturers can't really do anything about. IIRC, state laws require annual testing of fuel quality for filling stations. so what happens if a tank gets contaminated 11 months before the next scheduled test? bad gas for everyone.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think you're right, Bob.

I noticed the same when I was driving down to FL and back to New England, and with the downpipes and non-res catbacks and an open window I was able to hear pinging for a second from time to time when I'd get on the throttle. As soon as I got back to my area, with gas station that I normally use, it went away.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shows how close to the ragged edge this motor is probably running!!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM

That's a relief
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: that flat spot I was having at WOT in S mode seems to have disappeared....

i think you may be onto something with the bad gas scenario...Sheel Vpower by way of Tijuana.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Very good point, Vijay.

Quick Reply: that flat spot I was having at WOT in S mode seems to have disappeared....