RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Found a "nice" RS4... but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a "nice" RS4... but...

Low miles <10k, right color..

But, it has the following issues which I'm not sure how much it would cost to address (ie negotiation)

1. At least 2 of the wheels have 2 or more big curb gashes on the lip. Can these be repaired or should I ask for wheel replacement? How much do OEM wheels cost?

2. A few chips on the front of the car, one on the lower front air dam (not a huge deal), the other on the hood, right at the part where it curves from vertical to horizontal (front to rear). Is there any way to spot fix just the chip w/o it looking VERY obvious on metallic paint?
---
The rest of the car is spotless.. Im not a huge fan of the aluminum beltline trim but I've read I can get that re-done in CF.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Default If the price is right that's not bad....

Wheels $400 ea. You could have them refinished for a fraction of that cost.

The chips - it's a car. it's going to get chips. Unless you keep it in the garage and don't drive it. It's going to get some wear and tear. I put 10K miles in 12 weeks of car ownership.

There are some mobile chip repair folks that will come to you to fix those.

Tires - get the dealer to replace and have them toss in a OEM spare w/tire on the deal. I did...it's a great sense of security for driving long distances in the middle of no where.

You can change out the trim - It's a good DIY if you are handy.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: If the price is right that's not bad....

You've got a point re: Chips.. I've always been has those clear bras on the car because we have a couple of freeways around here that are notorious for rock flinging trucks.

Re: wheel refinish.. I had this done once about 5 years ago (dealer mucked up my wheel) and the two silver wheels on one side didn't match.

Are the wheels staggered? If not, I can put the two "good ones" on one side and the two refinished on the other and that should resolve the issue.

I thought it was Odd there was no full size spare, just a fix a flat or something. Are the tires "run flats"?

Is it OK to replace just one of the 4 tires or would it need to be shaved to match?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Chips and wheels are easily fixed. I'd honestly look for another car if you're serious about

pulling the aluminium trim for carbon fibre. Lots of them come up and 73% of RS4s sold are with C/F.

Tim
Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1) a bit over $400 each from the dealership, 2) touch-up paint + Langka = no more chip.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Interesting about the wheel finish. I would have asked for a repaint. I had some redone years ago and they were perfect.

Wheels are not staggered. I thought so myself when I bought my car. I guess it's the body work and illusion.

Yah something about weight savings... Oh well I have a full side strapped into my trunk. No run flats.

Depending on how worn the other tires are and at 10K they only have a few K left. Could always ask for a new set in the deal.

If they want to sell the car they will deal.

How long has it been there?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 AM

Car has 7k.. I will ask them to check tread/depth on other tires..
Old 12-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Gouged tire replacement? or Repair

One of the tires (right rear from what I recall) has a 3" gouge in the sidewall area closest to the wheel (its a lip that sticks out about 1/2" and I guess is a rim protector.

We're having a "discussion" re: replacing that tire because the gouged area is being held to the tire by an area one either end of the gouged rubber (Imagine a fish filet)..

I think the tire should be replaced, there are varying opinions on the matter between the svc dept and an independent vendor.

In any event, I'm going to look @ another car tomorrow and if all goes well.. will have an RS4 by mid to end of next week.

Cheers.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Found a "nice" RS4... but...

How much does the car cost and is it from an Audi dealer?? Cuz I'm looking to get an RS4 in the near future as well but everybody knows they overprice the cars on autotrader so I'm just curious how much you can actually get a used one for. Thanks