RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Front brake job

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake job

Hi all:

So I just got my car (23K) last weekend and the brake pad warning light is already on. After reading some of the threads here, I immediately checked my rotors and they have a healthy lip.

So, I just ordered semi-metallic pads from Zeckhausen and JHM lightweight rotor rings (slotted). Hope to install both either this weekend or next along with new fluid.

I have done brakes on several japanese cars in the past, but never an Audi. I have read that changing the pads is simple, and I don't doubt that. I just wanted to double check on rotor removal -- any picture-based threads on that? I searched and didn't find much except for descriptions on pad swaps. Also, is the brake fluid change pretty standard? As in, start with the caliper farthest from the MC and then work your way to the closest?

TIA! I will put together a full picture tutorial on the front brake change and post here when done.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rotor removal is pretty standard...as is bleeding...the clutch should be done too, ut it's hard to get at...
the rear calipers require a tool to compress the piston, from what I've read

are you replacing the rings onto the existing hubs? or the entire assembly?
that could be a bit more complicated

do you have a link to the rotor 'rings'?

thnx
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Click below for the JHM RS4 rotor rings.http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca...roducts_id=373
Old 04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UBERS4
Click below for the JHM RS4 rotor rings.http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/ca...roducts_id=373
nice...let us know how it turns out, and how they feel after broken in...

and thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The brake pad change is here https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel59.shtml. Would love to see the rotor change with pics.

TNT13
Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the fluid change and it was standard. I started as you said from the furthest to the MC. You will notice that the front calipers have two bleeding screws. I compared the pad thickness and it was just about as good as new. My concern was people have mentioned the front pads have some kind of rivet potentially scoring the rotors. It was no such thing on my rotors.
I did replace the front pads left the back stock.

The other advantage with the Zeckhausen pads is that there is a lot less brake dust. Although some wheel wax and frequent cleaning work wonders.

Another thing I considered was to have the rotors cryo'ed. I had them done for my STi but I never raced/tracked it so I am not sure about the better reliability they advertise. I talked with the Frozen rotors guys very nice people but I did not buy rotors as I did not need them.

Cheers and good luck.

Nick
Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 AM

Now those are neat.

I gusss you get torque spec's and a good instructions with those?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those rotor rings look like they are missing a lot of material. Seems like they'd over heat quicker - since one of the requirements of brake rotors is to absorb heat. Need material to absorb heat and the slightly bigger air gap isn't going to flow that much extra air...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The Brit
Those rotor rings look like they are missing a lot of material. Seems like they'd over heat quicker - since one of the requirements of brake rotors is to absorb heat. Need material to absorb heat and the slightly bigger air gap isn't going to flow that much extra air...
I can agree with you in theory but I am not sure if it really matters unless you are tracking the car pretty aggressively. I highly doubt I my brakes are going to fade because of the rotors, especially during any form of driving on the street.

I will be happy to post my impressions one I install the rotors.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The design of these rotors far surpasses the stock design and will cool better on the street or on the track. Take notice of the fin design and how they are slanted (directional). The airflow throught these rotors is going to be far greater than the airflow through the stock rotors.

When my rotors wear out, I am goin to pick up a set and will have them cryo treated. That should make these some hard to beat rotors.

Quick Reply: Front brake job