RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Has anyone come out with a good gadget to connect Iphone??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone come out with a good gadget to connect Iphone??

New to this forum and the Audi world. Picked up an 07 RS4 a few months back.

I have an iphone and would like to be able to play my music in the car but have not found anything that works well.

The only ones I've tried are the ones that connect to your phone and play through radio but both were horrible and would cut out like you're driving in the boonies or something.

The RS doesn't have an AUX port to plug in correct?

Anyone have any suggestions? seems silly that Audi hasn't come out with anything to help us out yet.

Anyway, absolutely in love with my car otherwise!!

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

S.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes there is an aux port interface on the back of the head unit...you will have to wire it yourself...(not too hard..) and audi makes the audi aux port to either place in your dash next to the card holder...or you can place the aux jack somewhere else in your car....search a few forums ago and I posted the link on all the parts and step by step instructions to install...you also need to update your Nav disc to 2010 or newer...that has the codes for the aux jack...and also update your VAGcom to accept the new signal...took me 1 hour tops
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

it's an uphill battle.

I'd recommend getting into the SD card scene. The car will take 4GB SD cards (not SDHC unfortunately...just SD). You can search and find 4GB SD although most brands only made them up to 2GB.

I'm personally looking for the 2010+ A3 version of our nav unit...then using an A4/S4/RS4 faceplate with it. It's the same unit, but different plastic faceplate. Anyway, pop that in, and you're in better shape. Still no good iPod functionality, however you can now put 2 32GB SDHC cards in, which should cover just about anyone's music collection.

Should be around $1000 for the new unit from Europe, and you should be able to sell your old unit for around 700.

p.s. you do know about the SD card slots behind the screen right? Over on the right side of the buttons along the bototm, one is to open the screen.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
it's an uphill battle.

I'd recommend getting into the SD card scene. The car will take 4GB SD cards (not SDHC unfortunately...just SD). You can search and find 4GB SD although most brands only made them up to 2GB.

I'm personally looking for the 2010+ A3 version of our nav unit...then using an A4/S4/RS4 faceplate with it. It's the same unit, but different plastic faceplate. Anyway, pop that in, and you're in better shape. Still no good iPod functionality, however you can now put 2 32GB SDHC cards in, which should cover just about anyone's music collection.

Should be around $1000 for the new unit from Europe, and you should be able to sell your old unit for around 700.

p.s. you do know about the SD card slots behind the screen right? Over on the right side of the buttons along the bototm, one is to open the screen.
Negative...it's very easy to do...took me 1 hour to add aux input and I play my iPhone everyday! follow this step by step http://audiforum.us/threads/aux-input.6322/page-7
Old 01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you guys for the great advice.

I knew there had to be options.

Much appreciated.

All the best,
S.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Negative...it's very easy to do...took me 1 hour to add aux input and I play my iPhone everyday! follow this step by step http://audiforum.us/threads/aux-input.6322/page-7

dude, that's ****. You can't see the artists or the albums or anything on the RNS-e screen! You can only have a few playlists, and even then you don't know which is which with the RNS-e ipod connection proper...and with your solution you have to hand hold the ipod which is a non-starter for me.

I never said you couldn't connect your ipod. You'll note that the very first thing i said was 'it's an uphill battle' with respect to ipod/iphone. Holding your ipod in your hand while driving and trying to change songs while looking at a 3.5" screen is basically a death wish if you ask me (unless you want to stop every time you change a song/album/artist).

Further it's illegal to use any handheld device while driving in just about every province in Canada and quite a few states as well. All around this 'solution' is kind of like handholding your cell phone in the car. Not very advisable.

The best solution is the SD cards on a 2010+ RNS-e. Two times 32 GB = 64 GB = 7,000-8,000 songs. All with on screen/steering wheel functionality. Unbeatable really.

Last edited by sakimano; 01-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Negative again ghost writer!! It's a GREAT solution! Using any type of integrator is really sh** to me! I've looked at them all and they're expensive and its a rigged up way to "trick" the RNS-E to read the Apple info...it's very quirky! Who want's to use the CD changer short cuts (Hold Down disc 6 to pull up artists,Hold down disc 4 to pull up songs, and the screen on the dash is SO SMALL you only see like 5 letters of the text etc) iPhone/iPod was made for touch screen easy access to pull up your music! And like I said before....USE PLAYLISTS so that you're not always having to change your music! Or use Shuffle or Genius to select songs for you...Also the Sound Quality is the best using the Aux method....when your sound comes from the USB on the phone, it doesn't have any amplification. However, the headphone jack is amplified and sounds MUCH better! Trust me! I use mine everyday! I have hundreds of playlists and pre-mixed podcasts with new music...so there is NO need to constantly change music! This whole install costs me $55 in AUDI parts...and one hour install time....plus..I get full access to My CD changer, Sat Radio, SD Card just like it was before....With these other ideas, you lose one of these functions like CD player...Saki...you're the man when it comes to Mechanical...but I've been doing Music and Electronics for a long time! LOL cheers!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Negative again ghost writer!! It's a GREAT solution! Using any type of integrator is really sh** to me! I've looked at them all and they're expensive and its a rigged up way to "trick" the RNS-E to read the Apple info...it's very quirky! Who want's to use the CD changer short cuts (Hold Down disc 6 to pull up artists,Hold down disc 4 to pull up songs, and the screen on the dash is SO SMALL you only see like 5 letters of the text etc) iPhone/iPod was made for touch screen easy access to pull up your music! And like I said before....USE PLAYLISTS so that you're not always having to change your music! Or use Shuffle or Genius to select songs for you...Also the Sound Quality is the best using the Aux method....when your sound comes from the USB on the phone, it doesn't have any amplification. However, the headphone jack is amplified and sounds MUCH better! Trust me! I use mine everyday! I have hundreds of playlists and pre-mixed podcasts with new music...so there is NO need to constantly change music! This whole install costs me $55 in AUDI parts...and one hour install time....plus..I get full access to My CD changer, Sat Radio, SD Card just like it was before....With these other ideas, you lose one of these functions like CD player...Saki...you're the man when it comes to Mechanical...but I've been doing Music and Electronics for a long time! LOL cheers!

dude, you're agreeing with me. The oem ipod integration is ****. The aux/handheld is better, but you have a random loose wire and besides that, it's illegal most places to play with a handheld electronics device (so is speeding, and I'm not saying I never do it, but just saying) and not that great really as you're stuck with a tiny screen.

Using the SD cards is best by far. Better sound quality too than the ****ty apple format. No **** cables to run through. No fumbling with the device.

SD FTW - On screen, full detail, full access, steering wheel controlled music. It sounds like you literally don't know about the SD card option. Do you know what I'm referring to? Look:

I win!

Last edited by sakimano; 01-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL Saki this is HILARIOUS!!! Of course I know about the SD cards! I have 2 4 GB cards and I've put music on them 2x ever and it was too much of a pain...so I stopped doing it. Clearly you are an Apple "hater" you probably own a WACKBERRY or GAYDROID and are missing the whole concept of the functionality of us Apple iPhone users....let me shed a little light for you......we iPhoner's carry our phones in the house everyday....and wirelessly SYNC our music/pics/data to our phone regularly and we even use it as a PHONE which is GREAT!!!....so this is a very normal activity for us....therefore having to fool around with SD cards...everytime I want to hear new music...is an extra monotonous step....also the iPhone does so many other functions such as PANDORA, ooTunes, WunderRadio, and other great APP's which DON'T REQUIRE HANDHELD FUMBLING!!!!! Do you really think that we Audi "Enthusiasts" would be so careless to HOLD UP our Phones, WHILE driving stick shift when we see the FUZZ? Cmon bro!!! You gotta be kidding me!! No offense but I feel like I'm explaining this to my DAD! LOL You can go buy your $500+ A3 Radio if you wan't.....I'll invest that money in ripping out these BOSE speakers...and making my car sound like a mini-studio...and giving me some better road entertainment!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

For Saki:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Has anyone come out with a good gadget to connect Iphone??