RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Has anyone had DRC failure post-recall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had DRC failure post-recall?

I had the DRC recall done after four years, and was having no suspension issues at the time (only 10,000 miles). Now, only two years later and with the car still very low mileage (14,000 miles,) I have a serious rattle over bumps coming from the suspension that is worsening. Seems to be coming from the rear suspension.
Baby is going in to see the Audi dealer in two days.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been reported to happen occasionally but my guess is you have a different problem. And just about ANYTHING is cheaper than DRC repair.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard of people experiencing issues post the recall work being carried out.

FWIW my car is still on the original suspension and has not had any issues in this regard. I know of several others that obviously have experienced the usual symptoms of failing shocks.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RS4-2007
I had the DRC recall done after four years, and was having no suspension issues at the time (only 10,000 miles). Now, only two years later and with the car still very low mileage (14,000 miles,) I have a serious rattle over bumps coming from the suspension that is worsening. Seems to be coming from the rear suspension.
Baby is going in to see the Audi dealer in two days.
I had the DRC done last November...and 20,005km later, I got the clunking, and rattling noise coming from the back. Audi is not covering it and the dealership is giving 20% off the price of a new DRC system, should it fail again, the parts are covered for life as long as I own the car, but I'll have to pay for the labour. I opted for the PSS9's as it was a more cost effective solution for me. Still to this day, I'm kind of irked that Audi wouldn't just do the DRC system again. But rules are rules I guess. I hope thing work out for you on which way you decide to go.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alister
FWIW my car is still on the original suspension and has not had any issues in this regard.
Alister, did you not have your DRC recall work done? My original suspension is still in tact (23,000 miles), and it has yet to have had the recall performed. Currently shopping around for getting her carbon cleaned, then perhaps the recall at that time. Is this something I need to have done straight away? Will they even do it anymore? I'm thinking of just upgrading suspension anyway...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sandros1
Alister, did you not have your DRC recall work done?
There was no recall in Australia - certainly some owners experienced issues that were rectified under the new vehicle warranty though.

I believe both the US and UK had recalls of sorts which left a bit of a sour taste for those in Australia who experienced issues outside of the new vehicle warranty period and had to open their wallet for repair work to address this defect.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

So it is a DRC leak, and the dealer has expressed that "the leak is unrelated to the recall done two years (four thousand miles ago)", however does not know the source of the leak and has repressurized the system. furthermore he stated that "seals leak with age".
The vehicle has been driven only 14000 miles to date and the original shocks worked great. Now that the recall was done- two years later there are serious problems. I wonder since the original shocks were guaranteed for four years against defect, if the recall replacement shocks should not be guaranteed for the same period. For sure they should not last only 4000 miles. The vehicle is always carefully driven on good roads and has not seen winter yet.

I know Audi is a first class manufacturer. I am hopeful that they will offer a fair solution.

Please don't be shy to share any suggestions...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RS4-2007
So it is a DRC leak, and the dealer has expressed that "the leak is unrelated to the recall done two years (four thousand miles ago)", however does not know the source of the leak and has repressurized the system. furthermore he stated that "seals leak with age".
The vehicle has been driven only 14000 miles to date and the original shocks worked great. Now that the recall was done- two years later there are serious problems. I wonder since the original shocks were guaranteed for four years against defect, if the recall replacement shocks should not be guaranteed for the same period. For sure they should not last only 4000 miles. The vehicle is always carefully driven on good roads and has not seen winter yet.

I know Audi is a first class manufacturer. I am hopeful that they will offer a fair solution.

Please don't be shy to share any suggestions...
I would see if you can take it to a different dealer for review. Some are better than others
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
I would see if you can take it to a different dealer for review. Some are better than others
Hi,

I have a 2007 RS4 Avant.
It went to Audi for an MOT 2 years ago and passed, but with an advisory that the front 2 suspension struts had a misting of oil.
I was told that there was a 100% warranty replacement for these and they duly replaced all 4, front and rear.
Last week, 2 years later at an independent garage it failed it's MOT with one of the rear struts leaking oil badly.
I contacted the original garage (who carried out the work 2 years ago) and they have agreed to replace both rear struts free of charge.
There are also going to replace the clutch & flywheel (noisy clutch release bearing) and provide a full 60,000 mile service inc spark plugs for £2,000 (they had originally wanted £3,100).
Probably helped that I am still waiting for delivery of a 185PS A1, which has taken more than 6 months to arrived - might get it this week though!

Regards
Rob
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the update

You are the first person I have heard have a post-recall DRC fail.

Originally Posted by racherry
Hi,

I have a 2007 RS4 Avant.
It went to Audi for an MOT 2 years ago and passed, but with an advisory that the front 2 suspension struts had a misting of oil.
I was told that there was a 100% warranty replacement for these and they duly replaced all 4, front and rear.
Last week, 2 years later at an independent garage it failed it's MOT with one of the rear struts leaking oil badly.
I contacted the original garage (who carried out the work 2 years ago) and they have agreed to replace both rear struts free of charge.
There are also going to replace the clutch & flywheel (noisy clutch release bearing) and provide a full 60,000 mile service inc spark plugs for £2,000 (they had originally wanted £3,100).
Probably helped that I am still waiting for delivery of a 185PS A1, which has taken more than 6 months to arrived - might get it this week though!

Regards
Rob

Quick Reply: Has anyone had DRC failure post-recall?