RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Help... please talk me out of buying one... must resist...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... please talk me out of buying one... must resist...

I had this vehicle priced out of my range for the last year. I can afford one but could not really justify one to my wife and business partner as being a wise use of money.

I just found out that I can do a 3 year lease and the payment will be in the $1200+ per month range which my company will cover - this is way over my current car lease payment of $750 but if I do the math and factor in that I can buy it out after 36 months I will probably be able to roll it over - sell it to make 15k+ instantly (I confirmed this with the audi dealer who said the limited numbers of these vehicles along with it ending production in the next year it will retain value like the RS6). If I factor this in along with the fact that this profit on the sale is tax free (and on the negative side subtract the time value on the extra payments at 9% interest) then it is actually cheaper than my Ford Expedition lease payment. FYI - my other vehicle is an 01 S4 (specially modified).

Is my logic correct? If so it seems like a no brainer and an obsticle out of the way.

The other obsticle is that you cannot fit 4 adults in the car. I stopped by the dealership tonight and (I'm 6'2") tested both the back and front in different seat settings in an 07 S4 - I assume it is about the same. I am afraid that it now looks like I was mistaken. I don't know that I would want to take a long trip in the back seat but it would work fine for a business meeting across town or for the kids.

I was not in love with any of the colors but the Daytona Gray Pearl effect is really growing on me. Dang - another obsticle down.

Another option was for me to just do a Infiniti FX45 and dump 5-10k to fully mod the current S4 - Hmmmm... seems like an option...

Sorry for the long message but I really am fearing that I will do something drastic if I do not get some good advise quickly like ordering up a 2008 model.

Now if I can just find a dealer to do it at about 2k over invoice...
Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Default I think it's highly dubious that this car will be an easy sell down the road

The reason is that the car market place in my view is increasingly competitive. I think the RS4 is obviously a champ in so many ways, but by the time you sell this car Audi will have surpassed it with many new cars, as will have BMW, Mercedes and believe it or not, possibly Lexus with the IS500, or whatever they're calling it.

Right now residual value on this car is terrible. Its not like a 911 or an M3.

I think if you can put that aside, then get the car. I would not buy this car with the clear intent of it being a solid financial move, even from the perspective of coming out even somehow.

I think it just won't happen, especially if you care about the car and service it with the kind of oil that some of us use around here. And the hand washes, etc.

It's not a cheap car to own. Did I mention the mileage?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default planting seeds of doubt on the 3 year value works

although if the values are on par with the RS6 from 2003 after 3 years the plan would work.

if not and the actual value was consistent with a 3 year 12k mile lease of 53% then - your right I would need to enjoy the car and just suck it up - I could do it but would use up some points with the wife (probably alot of points).

Its relative - but are most cars over about 25k a good financial move?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Default you asked for opinions, i am giving you an honest one

i am not planting seeds of doubt, i am part of the market and you are seeing a glimpse of what may come. people with my view might sway the others, that is how market economies work.

but i am certainly not intentionally planting seeds of doubt any more than someone with exuberance is planting the view of an inflated value.

it is what it is.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

lol - no problem, thanks for the input
Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Default the title of your thread is "please talke me out of buying one"

if you want me to talk you into buying one, i can do that too
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Leasing a $73K car for $1200-$1300 is an emotional, not a smart

financial move.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if the accountant say yay!! its cool...u only live once
Old 07-05-2007, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Help... please talk me out of buying one... must resist...

Never buy a car to make money on it down the road, even if accounting says it's possible.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Unless it's a Porsche 993 Turbo with 5k miles and one owner

LOL. That might actually beat the market in 15 years, but good luck finding one.

Quick Reply: Help... please talk me out of buying one... must resist...