RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Here's my theory on the early availabilty of the RS4

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's my theory on the early availabilty of the RS4

As we know, the RS4 had a list almost as long as cars allocated for the US market for the year. We also know that cars are sitting unclaimed on the lots of stunned dealers who are paying interest daily to Audi on cars they thought they had pre-sold.
The back up buyers, and the back up's back up buyers are declining the car.
Now why is this? Is the car undesirable suddenly? Are the reviews unfavorable? Is it too expensive? Well, no, no, and maybe.
Here's my theory. It's marketing. The enthusiasts who plopped down deposits 2 years are not the folks who will drive the car off. The car is too much money for the orignal enthusiasts, 20k plus more than the S4, only 10k short of the pricey M5.
Audi didn't realize this and should have been selling this car hard as an alternative to the bloated, computer driven M5 and the fast yet uninvolving E55. Not in the same league, you say? Well, I for one would love to buy a super sedan that was as involving as my old E39 M5, and the E60 ain't it. I believe this car may be a big hit in the near term and a classic in the long term unlike no Audi before it.
The target market is older, has more disposible income, and is looking for a contempory back to basics european hot rod sedan.
They just don't know about the car yet. Audi should have had a few commercials or print ads- I haven't seen any, have you? Also, I believe it was a mistake to keep the price such a guarded secret for so long. The process of fallout would have happened sooner, and Audi could have replaced them with the RS4's true market sooner and kept the egg off their face with these super cars sitting unclaimed on dealer floors or parking lots.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Elder Member

Default i don't agree with everything. but i sure agree that audi should have marketed the ****...

...out of the RS concept as a whole, and this current model, in North America. but they barely do a thing to inform the buying public that these cars exist.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default only $10k less than the pricey M5? I don't think so...

try $20k+

I got my RS4 for $73k, meanwhile I got my optioned M5 at msrp for $95k. That's $22k over the RS4.... even if you were to get a stripper M5 (which is retarded since features like HUD and alcantara headliners are almost must-haves), you're still at $88k for a base M5, which is $15k over a loaded RS4. A base RS4 is $66k, a base M5 is $88k, not including the M5's higher gas guzzler tax.

However, I do somewhat agree with some of your theories... definitely makes lots of sense! But for what it's worth, I fall into the category of one of those enthusiasts who plunked down deposits for the RS4 2 years ago and even I'm surprised myself that I still pulled the trigger despite the high cost of the RS4. Hey, it's a fun car!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You make some good points, but

it should really be no surprise that the cars aren't flying out of the dealership at $73.5K. You can buy a lot of car for that kind of money. You are getting close to the base price of a A8 or BMW 750 among many other nice cars.

Audi can be really bone-headed with their dealership inventories. They dumped 400 2003 RS6's into the US market very late in 2003. Most of those languished on the lots for months. With the RS4, we have several people here waiting for their cars, but somehow they were not matched to the launch cars. It just does not make sense.

As far as marketing goes, have you seen the MSN homepage today? Their rave review of the RS4 is on page one. Maybe that will get those RS4's scooped up.

Mercedes and BMW get all the respect in the US market. Audi's are still niche cars here. Stuff a big engine in any Audi and I am probably buying it. Unfortunately for Audi, most Americans are not like me.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Default M5 Base price is 81k not 88k

2006 BMW M5
MSRP $81,200
Options and accessories $0
Destination charge $695
Total price as built $81,895

Alcantara headliner is standard, HUD is not what I would consider integral to the car's performance.

Edit- I just checked ALL the boxes on BMW's website and got up to $87,790 for the M5... how did you get to 95k?! You must be counting taxes and gas guzzler?!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 PM

My point is the car should be flying out, it's a great car, just not target marketed
Old 06-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Elder Member

i got $94K last itme i did it. that was a few months ago. maybe they're dropping?
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lighten up Francis, the cars have only been here about a week.

it's a little too soon to say the cars are sitting around "unclaimed on the lots of stunned dealers."

additionally, I can personally disprove at least 3 of the statements you made. we don't need marketing, we research the vehicle on our own and let the experts do the talking, not some MBA who thinks he knows what we want to hear.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Elder Member

Default bob's back

;-)
Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM

Default lol I think you need to lighten up...

You're taking this as directed to you. YOU may not need the marketing, however did you see many M5's or M3's or 997's etc sitting on dealer lots when they were first released? Do you have any idea how many RS4 launch cars are available? I have been looking around, and there are more than a few.
Three possible reasons for this in the RS4-

1) not a great car (not true)
2) too expensive (possibly true)
3) not marketed effectively (imo true)

btw, the Avus pics you posted were stunning- really. Beaut car.

Quick Reply: Here's my theory on the early availabilty of the RS4