RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

High mileage? deal killer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage? deal killer?

I got the the damn bug again, first time it was a 911, this time it's an RS4. Currently have a 2007 A4 the wifey uses as a DD, we love it. The question is, with all things being equal(service records, PPI and such) would any of you buy(pay 30K)for an RS4 with 90+K miles on it? Am I asking for trouble? It would be a secondary driver and most likely end up doing AX and DE events for ****s and grins. I used to think that nothing is as much fun as the 911, but I'm a little bit older now and creature comforts mean a little something, know what I mean?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 91c2wrencher
I got the the damn bug again, first time it was a 911, this time it's an RS4. Currently have a 2007 A4 the wifey uses as a DD, we love it. The question is, with all things being equal(service records, PPI and such) would any of you buy(pay 30K)for an RS4 with 90+K miles on it? Am I asking for trouble? It would be a secondary driver and most likely end up doing AX and DE events for ****s and grins. I used to think that nothing is as much fun as the 911, but I'm a little bit older now and creature comforts mean a little something, know what I mean?
What do you mean by all things being equal? Are you comparing the RS4 to a 911? If so, which generation and what model?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wrencher,

I've been closely involved with owning my RS4 for over 6 years and have monitored the forums non-stop during that time. I don't remember one single post that was negative about high mileage RS4s. They age very very well and seem to remain solid and tight. I wouldn't hesitate buying a "high mileage" RS4 at all.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya, sorry. Not really comparing my previous 964 to a newer RS4. The 964 was really set up for the track and not a practical DD of any kind. I've always considered the RS4 a "supercar". The question is I can't justify $45K for a low mileage unit, but I could swallow a $30K outlay. Is that just asking for trouble or much like a well maintained P-car, is mileage not a deal killer from an upkeep point of view?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I would like to add my personal feelings that the RS is not a real track car. It will no where perform on a track like your old 911 or one that is a street 911.

but on the street the RS is one of the greatest cars out there in any weather. It is just too front heavy to be a autocross vehicle
Old 01-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Reggie, good food for thought. So maybe I'm going to have to rethink this thing a little. Saying it's not a good candidate for a DE or AX car doesn't mean it couldn't do a few for fun, but, once bitten, the only cure might be to just get one and enjoy it for what it is and get it out of my system. They are beautiful cars with plenty of giddy up. Do many guys do track days with the RS? Seems like the only place to stretch it out with a car like this. Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 91c2wrencher
Thanks Reggie, good food for thought. So maybe I'm going to have to rethink this thing a little. Saying it's not a good candidate for a DE or AX car doesn't mean it couldn't do a few for fun, but, once bitten, the only cure might be to just get one and enjoy it for what it is and get it out of my system. They are beautiful cars with plenty of giddy up. Do many guys do track days with the RS? Seems like the only place to stretch it out with a car like this. Thanks for your comments.
There are guys who have used it as a track car and several are modifying the car to be lighter. It just won't out perform a M3 as well on the track because of the weight. It will be fun on the track but it just won't give you the thrills like a M3 or 911.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with Reggie except for the RS not being able to out track a M3. I have seen it done, the RS can be competitive but it is not a all out TRACK CAR. Again, it is not a auto-x car (as Reggie stated) but it is one of the best all around rides on the road that is not a new car.

Also, there a a few folks with upward of 130k miles or more who have not had a single issue. Not saying the car doesn't have its warts or expensive issue but there are not many and the issue that exist are well know.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't take the RS4 anywhere near an AX event, but it's pretty respectable for DE's with a stiffer sway bar and really good tires. I would say within a couple seconds a lap at places like Summit Point and VIR for equal drivers. AND you still get to drive it in poor weather.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Slightly different perspective: I contend that the RS4 was designed specifically for track use. I have a 2007 RS4 that I have been using for HPDE for a couple of years now. I didn't start tracking the car until it had 75K miles, and it currently has 108K miles.
I contend that there is not a sedan that is better on the track out of the box than the RS4.
On the track, I drive the car HARD, to its limit (and a few times beyond; fortunately, no damage.)
All of the components (suspension, transmission, etc.) are extremely robust, and while it adds weight to the car, it provides great reliability. I still have the original clutch on the car.
While from experience the performance is comparable to the E90 BMW M3 sedan, and just a few ticks off the E92 M3 coupe, you will not get anywhere near the laps in an M3 due to the stock brake kit, which will fade relatively early. The stock brakes on the RS4 are nothing short of monstrous, and they simply do not fade, even under heavy track use.
I regularly get comments from owners of Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. saying how fast the car is on the track.
And it is FUN. I had my first two instructors (hardcore racers/time-trialers) laughing out loud in the car. It is easy to drive fast, and very forgiving without sacrificing driveability and driver feedback.
The car will go through tires in a hurry, though. I have a set of 18" wheels for track use, and I can get 4 or 5 track days out of a set of Michelin PSS's.
So if you want a car you can take straight to the track without any mods, it is hard to beat the RS4.

Quick Reply: High mileage? deal killer?