RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

How to get around the limitations of the Sport Button (by getting funky)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to get around the limitations of the Sport Button (by getting funky)

I dislike the Sport button for two reasons - the hyper-throttle and the exhaust valves aren't open at all times (they stay closed in gears 1-3 above 1000 rpm). It appears we can have our cake and eat it too:

I ordered a FUNK button with the chrome accent to match the other buttons. It comes with the harness. I plan to replace the passenger air bag light with the FUNK button. I dislike that airbag light anyway. The FUNK switch will glow red like the other switches, but when pushed, the green LED will lite and disconnect the ground from the exhaust solenoid (via a relay). I have to test it to see if it throws a CEL. If so, I'll just wire another solenoid to the Normally Open side of the relay so the ECU always "sees" a solenoid.

Photos when the parts arrive. Unfortunately, they're coming from Germany so it will be a little while. Wish I'd thought of this 7 years ago.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 11-20-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be a bit disappointed when you see that the shape of the button doesn't quite work as a direct replacement of the airbag light.

I have the chrome funk button (was going to use it as a radar detector remote indicator/mute). It is the identical shape as the existing S button.

I investigated swapping the face with the airbag light (talk about stealth!), but the assembly is not the same.

Interested to hear what you decide to do with yours. Mine is currently sitting on a shelf in my garage.