RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I e-mailed zeckhausen today about aftermarket rotor rings for the B7 RS4s today.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I e-mailed zeckhausen today about aftermarket rotor rings for the B7 RS4s today.....

Here is what I sent them:

"I spoke with David for a while today about replacement rotor rings for the B7 RS4. Their doesn't appear to be an aftermarket or OEM option for rotor ring replacements on these cars equipt with the stock GT8 floating rotor brake system. The only option on these cars is to buy complete new rotor assemblies for ~$800/both front rotors. These rotors are field serviceable like any other brembo setup, and should be able to have the rings replaced individually as needed. Many people who have purchased these cars new simply installed Alcon setups with cheaper brake servicing and more pad/rotor options. Current developments have turned up cheaper and higher quality aftermarket pads for these cars. The market on the B7 RS4s have changed currently and are in the 40K range and will continue to drop. This will attract more budget minded owners that will not want to dump 4k on Alcons. I see a market for aftermarket replacement rotor rings for the following reasons:

1. More rotor options(Drilled, slotted, drilled/slotted or plain)
2. Cut owners brake maintenance costs. For example, the similar sized brembo rotor rings are ~200 ea. 2/$400 vs. 2/$800 OEM
3. The stock rotor are not vaned for specific vehicle sides(driver and passenger), which effects heat characteristics of the rotors.

This will open up opportunity for the B5 RS4(Europe) and RS6 market. The RS6s use the same GT8 calipers as the B7 RS4. This car uses 365mm x 34mm rotors that are a different offset from the RS4 and are not floating. These cars suffer from brake fade due to the poor heat characteristics of the rotors. If the interest is present for floating rotors for the RS6, the hats could be designed to use the same replacement rotor rings with the developement of RS6 specific hats. The OEM RS6 rotors are similarly priced as the B7 RS4s with no current aftermarket replacement options(slotted, drilled etc..) Many of the B5 RS4 guys in europe have been replacing the inferior stock calipers with the B7 RS4 GT8 calipers and keeping their original rotors. The original B5 RS4 rotors are designed similar to the RS6 ones mentioned above, but they are 360mmx32mm and run the same offset as the B7 RS4. The above mentioned benefits also apply to these cars. I hope this provides some usefull information that may be used for your own good. I think the market is there, but the production of the products is the limiting factor. Hopefully you guys can make some progress in this area if the market interests you. Take care."

Maybe this will stir enough interests so that people have more options in the future.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Let's hope we get something good in return!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on Dave Z's best stocked beer refrig in the world. Oh, the guy knows brakes like nobody too
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I learned more about brakes in the 30 minutes I spoke with him than I have by working on them.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd be all over it if they do.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM

Default +2. Dave is Da Brake Maan!

He and I (OK, mostly him) installed StopTechs on my M5 in his shop some time back, and the 6 hr brake clinic (interrupted by a leisure lunch and Pan e Vino) proved to be very very informative and insightful. Def learned a lot. I am glad he is local and an available resource to us all!