RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I got one! 2008 Daytona Gray, w/Premium and Titanium. Having trouble getting used to the clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got one! 2008 Daytona Gray, w/Premium and Titanium. Having trouble getting used to the clutch.

Long time slightly modded A6 2.7T 6MT owner finally takes plunge and moves to new AW forum. Buys new car.

After weeks of on-and-off negotiating, I finally brought her home. Here in the Bay Area, local dealers don't quite seem as motivated as some others reported on this forum. Still, cant complain - eventually got to a reasonably satisfying 10,500 below MSRP w,Titanium and Audi Care.

I have to say, I really do like the titanium finish with the Daytona Gray. It just gives off a classy, and at the same time, a dont-mess-with-me vibe. Loving the Piano Black interior.

I'll post pics if any interest.

I'm still learning my way around - but one thing is troubling me a little. I am having the hardest time getting to grips with the clutch. I find it particularly grabby. Especially down low - the 1 to 2 shift. I am surprised with how light the pedal feel is. The shift action occurs so quickly from the lowest point of travel to the time it begins to engage, and the engagement is so abrupt, that I cannot help bounce the pedal a little at the point of engagement (which can result in a passenger-complaining lurch during the shift).

In contrast, my faithful A6 2.7T has a much heavier feel throughout the pedal travel range, which gives greater control at engagement.

Does this make sense? Is it just because I'm still getting to know this car? Have others experienced the same? Where you able to overcome it.

And for the record, I am a long time manual transmission user. In 25 years of driving, all my cars have been manual. Put me in an auto and I'll be complaining and whining within minutes.

cheers.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default same issue

when new. I have driven manuals for over 25 years and this one took some time to get used to. Now, at ~5000 miles, shifts are silky smooth and no complaining from the passengers. It does take conscious thought and the clutch is very unforgiving. It is light, little feel and the take-up from starting to grab to engaged is very short. You will get used to it. I drive it best with thin soled dress shoes and worst with sneakers.

I have the same color combo and I love the look - varying shades of un-color. It does have a menacing, "don't even think about it, son" look to it. Excellent choice. Excellent deal-much better than my deal back in late June.
Enjoy
Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 AM

Default same here. It's quite frustrating

It's a lot like my golf swing. Sometimes I can hit it just right with little effort and the ball flies straight and far. Other times I swing with all my might and just completely shank it.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pics! and lots of them...
Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Try shifting at higher RPM's...

The car is smoother when not babied.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default had the same problem....gone now...

It will get much better with time. I'm at 6K now and I don't notice it at all. I choked it down/hopped around in 1st a few times the first few K miles.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

ditto
Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats! Funny, that still happens to me at low RPM's when not paying attention.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RPMs help a lot

Just winding it to 5K is enough to smooth it out.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default RS4 Clutch

I had the same experience the first 2 days with my new RS4, because had gotten used to the S4 clutch and as it wore out, it became softer adn required more travel (65k original clutch). Well jump out of that and into an RS4 and it took a bit of recalibration of my foot and ankle to properly engage the clutch. I have it down now where the car doesn't lurch and bounce in 1st and 2nd. Just ge out and drive, get some practice in, soon you will be replacing the A6 clutch because it is mush!

Quick Reply: I got one! 2008 Daytona Gray, w/Premium and Titanium. Having trouble getting used to the clutch.