RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I have a problem: For some reason my wheels are pealing, very wierd. Has anyone else had this proble

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a problem: For some reason my wheels are pealing, very wierd. Has anyone else had this proble

m??? It looks like its shedding one of its layers?? How much would it cost to get all 4 wheels redone??
Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default send those back to the dealer, there is def something wrong with them that should be covered under

warranty.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes I had all 4 wheels start peeling

Audi was very annoying about it to be honest, they refused to say it was their fault and their solution was to give me 2 wheels free and 2 wheels at cost and mount new tires for free. I took the deal since it was just too annoying to argue with them and they weren't budging.

I still have 2 of the wheels that peeled, haven't done anything with them yet.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i would not be suprised if they are using wheel acid at your dealer. Because if it was a defect....

than it should not happen to all 4. If they make the wheel acid(cleaner)a little strong it could cause your paint to peel. Goodluck
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 AM

Default Very weird in deed. What are you using to clean your wheels?

The only time I had paint fail on wheels was a poor respray on one and a few curbs helped peal/scrap off some paint on some others :-(
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you purchase your car new?...

If not, the wheels could have been damaged by the previous owner and the dealer sent them out before they sold it.

If it was new I guess acid would be the only thing to make them peel unless the dealer damaged them while it was in service and had them repaired before you picked up the car?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Bingo ^^^

It's the clearcoat peeling, and the wrong chemicals or even the wrong cleaning technique could be the cause. I don't even mess with that stuff.

The re-spray theory gets my vote for second.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 AM

Default 2nd

also, if you use in sunshine or leave it on too long, it will ruin the wheel finish. Very few of the chemical wheel cleaning products are worthwhile, IMO. Just wash them by hand and don't let them go so long that brake dust becomes caked on.

Anyway, who knows what happened at the dealer, but I wouldn't put it past them. The typical dealer detailers just graduated from Taco Bell or mowing lawns. It's scary!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Default I always wash the wheels with just a simple car wash soap. I never use any type of wheel cleaner

i'll tell my dad to go to the dealer. thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 AM

Default I do the same...

I do them last with a second sponge.

You might consider using a liquid carnuba wash/wax (Meguiars, Mothers, Kit, Blue Coral, Raindance, etc) which helps to keep brake dust from adhering to the wheel surface.

I use liquid carnuba wash/wax product every time I wash my car. It keeps a coat of wax in between washings for protection and, being carnuba, it doesn't cloud or discolor black and plastic trim. Make sure it's pure carnuba though...Zipwax, for example, is not. Some other products aren't also.

Quick Reply: I have a problem: For some reason my wheels are pealing, very wierd. Has anyone else had this proble