RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I have a project in mind. If i buy a Magnaflow Exhaust and cut the tips off my stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a project in mind. If i buy a Magnaflow Exhaust and cut the tips off my stock exhaust

after the valves can i retain the valves and have the magnaflow? I also want to retain the stock tips. Also will the stock quad tips (under the oval tips) line up with the magnaflow? TIA.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I asked Kooks custom to do something like this...

I wanted them to make me a custom exhaust, but keep the valves and the tips and they didn't want to do it. They said there was no guarantee that the valves would survive the cutting process b/c they don't know what's exactly in there. They also said it's very hard to line up the stock quad tips to one of their mufflers.

I guess you could purchase valves separately like Milltek does though.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
ATL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I don't think that will work.

I have the Magnaflow. Basically, it has one outlet pipe in the center of each muffler, which splits into two pipes/tips. It looks to be a straight-through design internally, with only one exhaust "channel". There would be no way to line up the two stock pipes (per muffler) (one valved, one not) in any meaningful way to the single channel in the Magnaflow.

This is from memory. I'll go home and check it out again, and let you know if I reach a different conclusion.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It might be possible but could get real ugly

When it's done you may have one of theose projects that you wish you hadn't started. I can think of three possible trouble areas:

First a size (diameter) difference. The magnaflow muffler outlets are rather large (2.75-3.00"?) and the Audi stock tips are 60mm (~2.4"), so adaptation is needed.

Second there are location and placement considerations. The different mufflers used in the two exhaust systems probably have outlets in different locations relative to the rear valence and muffler hanger, so some sort of "miscombobulation" will be needed.

Lastly there are length unknowns. The stock tips with the butterfly valves are fairly long and they could stick out too far from the Magnaflow muffler.

This topic has been discussed for over a year and apparently nobody has successfully pulled it off, yet Magnaflow owners are quick to throw out that it can easily be done.

We need a guinea pig. Any volunteers?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it's possible, but I'd bring it in to a muffler shop and talk to them.

I think the biggest issue is that the OEM tips w/valves grafted onto the Magnaflow outlet pipes will probably make the tips stick out too far. So then you'd be stuck with trying to shorten the muffler inlet pipes further upstream....to make it look good, you need a really good welder who has some custom fabrication experience.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I worked for MagnaFlow...would be a hack job to pull off

I looked at this, too. In fact, I switched to Milltek primarily because I just didn't want the MF's small, round tips.

I suppose it could be done, but you'd have to move the mufflers forward to compensate for the added length you'd need to accommodate a pipe behind the muffler to house the valve assembly.

If you didn't want the valve, it'd still be difficult to fit a single oval tip to dual round tips.

The best solution would be to cut off the MF's dual tips, then have a muffler shop bend a piece of sheet metal in the form of an oval tip, roll the lip, then send it out for polishing, and weld it around the MF's stubby muffler outlets (where the tips use to be).

I've seen variations of this done on hot rods.

Could be done, but it'd cost several hundred bucks, I'd bet.

By the way, the owner at MF thought I was smoking crack when I told him that owners want oval tips, not dual round.

It's too bad, too, cause the MF piece is nicely engineered.