RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

i might buy an RS4 tomorrow - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i might buy an RS4 tomorrow - some questions

I totaled my 2001 BMW M5 last month at Watkins Glen, and I am looking at my friend's 2008 RS4 cab to buy. what a sharp looking car. 39,000 miles and he bought it new.
I have looked through a few pages of discussions, and there really doesn't seem to be any consistent problems with this car, other than carbon buildup which costs $1k to clean every 30 - 50,000 miles?
is there anything else that is particularly troublesome, other than the higher wear and tear when driving it hard?
I will probably exercise it at the longer course/higher speed/less turns tracks, but no more than 3 times/yr, and try to keep it stock except for brake upgrades.
also, has anyone gone from rear wheel drive to all wheel drive and regretted it? this will be my first all wheel drive.

any comments you guys have will be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

RWD vs AWD: I wouldn't say I regret it but there is some loss of "hanging the tail out" you have with RWD. The only real way to do this with the RS4 is power off as you approach the corner, flick it in, let it hang and power on as you're going through.
This is the most sure footed car I've ever driven though. There is no way I can legally bring it close to it's limits on the road - and that includes in the winter (I'm in Canada), so it's an all around great car. Some people may not find it as exciting on the track because of the AWD but it's subjective - you should try your friends car out before you buy; that way you'll be sure.
My Audi mechanic just told me last week that this is the best built Audi ever. I agree with him. How that compares to other cars though, like the M5, I can't say. I would guess, from what I've read about the M5, it's the better car (i.e. the latest gen).

What happened at Watkins Glen?
Welcome BTW.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi RS4now and welcome. Lots of E39 guys, including me, have moved to the RS4 platform. I haven't heard of a single one who regretted it. With brake upgrades and a carbon clean, you'll be good to go. Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
RWD vs AWD: I wouldn't say I regret it but there is some loss of "hanging the tail out" you have with RWD. The only real way to do this with the RS4 is power off as you approach the corner, flick it in, let it hang and power on as you're going through.
This is the most sure footed car I've ever driven though. There is no way I can legally bring it close to it's limits on the road - and that includes in the winter (I'm in Canada), so it's an all around great car. Some people may not find it as exciting on the track because of the AWD but it's subjective - you should try your friends car out before you buy; that way you'll be sure.
My Audi mechanic just told me last week that this is the best built Audi ever. I agree with him. How that compares to other cars though, like the M5, I can't say. I would guess, from what I've read about the M5, it's the better car (i.e. the latest gen).

What happened at Watkins Glen?
Welcome BTW.
thank you. i appreciate your comments.

i had an older M5, but it was a lot of fun. it was stock except for brake and fluid upgrades. i was getting the most out of the car with good street tires. i then drove around with a race instructor who wanted me to use the tail on exits to help straighten the car out earlier, and i overdid it on turn 7, the toe of the boot.
so i thought i could manage the tail and stayed with it, until the left rear tire caught the grass on the sharp right corner exit. i lost it then with the rear now going to the front, and after scrubbing off some speed sliding back across the track, found the guardrail.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Hi RS4now and welcome. Lots of E39 guys, including me, have moved to the RS4 platform. I haven't heard of a single one who regretted it. With brake upgrades and a carbon clean, you'll be good to go. Enjoy!
thank you.
i have had a V8 rwd car for the last 20 years, and i liked burning rubber and swinging the tail around at times (to the detriment of the e39 m5 last month); but i haven't even done that recently on the streets. i seem to love the V8 sound, especially when louder than stock exhausts. i really like the looks of the RS4, along with a top down experience. and that high revving v8 is to die for. so i dont know how i can pass this opportunity up.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am in the minority with my opinion of the RS4 as a track car. I think it is very capable and fun but is too heavy. As with all AWD cars, the understeer is noticeable. My largest gripe is the wearables. I tore though tires and brake pads and disks quickly. At three times a year it is not too bad.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The two issues of record of which I am aware, and which I covered in prepping my currently-for-sale RS4, are DRC failure and carbon buildup (which, notwithstanding forum experts, does not affect every RS4).

I would confirm with your friend whether the DRC failed (perhaps by 2008 Audi had this permanently remedied), and whether/when there were any carbon issues...popping it open to look at the valves, though expensive, would get you most of the way there in re cleaning (if needed), and would increase your comfort level. (We opened mine up only at 100,000...two techs advised that it didn't need cleaning, but I had them do it anyway since the car has been good to me.).

Other than those two potential red flags, I cannot think of anything significant (in over 110,000 miles) as regards my experience. As far as a track car, well, I call my car "Miss Piggie" for a reason. If I were of a mind to acquire a track car, I would probably look for a used M3 or CaymanS--they dance, the RS4 simply doesn't, and if you ever go into Turn 1 at WG way too hot, the only advantage of an RS4 is that it will afford you lots more protection.

That said, whenever/ifever the RS4 sells, I shall miss it dearly. I love my (much quicker/much techier) S6, but I miss the edge and sound of the RS4.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FooFighterRS4
I am in the minority with my opinion of the RS4 as a track car. I think it is very capable and fun but is too heavy. As with all AWD cars, the understeer is noticeable. My largest gripe is the wearables. I tore though tires and brake pads and disks quickly. At three times a year it is not too bad.
That makes two of us. The RS is a great street car but nothing will compare on the track with a BMW lightness (it's not just the RWD of the Audi that makes it heavy - it is the frame too)
Old 06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The RS4 has a spectacular combination of luxury and track capability... but it is a spectacular compromise compared to a more purpose built vehicle.

I have a built 400whp Subaru STi that I track occasionally. I wouldn't dream of pitting the RS4 against it.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for the comments, guys.

I did buy a triple black 2008 cab today, with 39,000 miles. absolutely great looking convertible. exhaust is horrible, but I will look at upgrades. I like it with a bit more sound.

as for track activity, it should be fine as is. I know it is heavy, and will understeer, but I will be content just pushing it to its limits, without needing to be the best or fastest out there. that way, I don't need to get my need for speed on the streets - I save it for the track.

is there any way I would know if I have carbon buildup on those intake valves? I have never experienced this car, or any other rs4 before.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: i might buy an RS4 tomorrow - some questions