Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im Ordering H+R stuff help!!!

Ordered today!! for my rs4 sedan

Ordered H+R springs, will lower 20Mm 730 bucks

Ordered Front + Rear sway Bars H+R 1200 bucks

I hear on the grapevine that DTM are adding these to RS4s from now as a special edition car from Audi???, lowering 20mm/stiffer springs/sways bars.....i read on these forums stronger rear sway is great but the front one can cause understeer..is this true..they come as a set ..should i leave the front off?

SykO
Old 04-26-2007, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First of all I'm not a fan of just changing springs. I don't know how this will work with a car...

Like the RS4 which as a DRC type suspension.

Now for the sway bars, it all depends how the "kit" was designed to work. Did H&R design their sway bars to work as a kit, meaning was it tested as a duo or they did a rear bar first and then offered a front bar? If designed and tested together, did H&R decide to keep the same handling characteristics as Audi designed in the first place? Does the rear bar offer adjustability?

If H&R designed it in such a way to keep Audi's original handling traits, then you know the car's behaviour will be the same but the roll will be reduced. You should expect the same amount of understeer and/or oversteer from the kit.

On the A4s and S4s, H-Sports decided to design their two bar kit in such a way to dial out some of the understeer known to Audis when the rear sway bar was set to the "softer" setting. If you decide to go for the stiffer setting well the car's handling traits change towards even less understeer and some oversteer. Maybe you should check out if
H-Sports as a kit for the RS4.

Also, unless the RS4 requires a very special sway bar system, $1200 for both bars is IMHO too expensive. Typically an H-Sports kit sells for around $400 for the S4, that's three times less than the H&R kit. Same thing for the springs.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Im Ordering H+R stuff help!!!

Dude you're paying too much. According to the H&R website:

Springs are $399
Ft swaybar is $259
Rr swaybar is $229
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jet, dialing out bodyroll will inherently reduce understeer, if only slightly no?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No.

Sway bars can reduce understeer by shifting weight from the front of the car to the rear in turns. When the car rolls in a turn, the sway bar effectively "lifts" the inside wheel as the outside wheel compresses. If this is a stiffer rear bar, it shifts weight to the front of the car so the front wheels bite, and shifts weight off of the rear wheels (the inside rear wheel, really) so that it has less grip. The result is less understeer, or more oversteer.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default $730 for springs? They're like $240 retail...

<ul><li><a href="http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=2.7T&amp;mod el=B7%20RS4&amp;submodel=&amp;category=Suspension" >http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Audi&amp;engine=2.7T&amp;mod el=B7%20RS4&amp;su
Old 04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Basically what LMSIV said below. That's how it works. But if a two bar sway bar kit doesn't change..

The front to rear balance of the car, then all it does is reduce roll.

You would need a kit that changes the balance to the rear by being stiffer at the rear versus what Audi had designed in its original handling characteristic. As an example if you look at the H-Sport set up, not only did they increase the front and rear bar diameters, but they purposely dialed in a more neutral handling characteristic (less understeer) and that's at the softer rear setting on the bar. If you use the stiffer setting, you may be able to induce some oversteer.

Basically with a set of H-Sports on the car, the turn-in should be better, the steering/handling should be much more crisp and precise. There should be less lag in the steering input as well.

The specs of the H-Sport kit for a B6/B7 S4 are as follows:

Front stiffness increased over stock bars is +60%.
Rear stiffness increased over stock on soft setting is +145%.
Rear stiffness increased over stock on full stiff setting is +215%.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: No.

thx guys for yor input appriciate it
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

he's down under, IIRC.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a friend did just springs on his 997S w/PASM...no problem.

these H&amp;R's for the RS4 are a very small drop...less than an inch. I don't think it would be a problem, but I don't know. The Euro 'sports plus' option for the RS4 uses different dampers, so you may be right.

Quick Reply: Im Ordering H+R stuff help!!!