RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

I'm tired of seeing posts with people bitching about Audi and SOT

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tired of seeing posts with people bitching about Audi and SOT

Audi tried to setup an event where its clients could preview and enjoy some of its new cars. Obviously, a few bad apples ruined it for everyone and the RS4 drives got yanked from the program.

Is this Audis fault? No. They have to cover their asses to make sure no one gets killed or sued. Perhaps it was silly of them to think that Audi owners / guest would be mature enough to drive a STREET CAR on the STREETS in accordance with the LAW.

For those who think a track event would have been more appropriate - you're crazy - how would you qualify someone? Who would be responsible for damaged cars? And best yet - Who would be the first to sue Audi when the piled a car into a wall at high speed?

I can answer that question - the person who would sue Audi is the same toolbag who treated the SD and NY events as their own private track events. They ruined it for everyone else, and forced Audi to close the program.

Stop ragging on Audi, instead, rag on the idiots who f'd this up for everyone else. If you attend the SOT event, go in knowing you WON'T drive the RS4. Enjoy your ride-along and be sure to check out the Q7, which is supposed to be the primary focus of this event anyhow.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you should read Audi's description of the event....

Clearly they DID intend for it to be a small track event, yet they DIDN'T a) qualify people, b) prepare for damage to vehicles, or c) provide any sort of safety equipment (as you pointed out). That's why AoA is at least as much to blame as the people who abused the cars....AoA facilitated it.

A direct quote:

"The performance course will be a timed course using the Race America computerized timing system. Approximately 1/3 mile long and not unlike a small road race track, you will be able to push the all-new 2007 RS 4 close to the limit, experiencing the all-around handling and performance of the engine, brakes, and suspension -- the awesome performance of the Audi."

See link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audistreetsoftomorrow.com/newyork/driving2.php">Audi SOT event description</a></li></ul>
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One of the problems is that they didn't set it up just for their "clients"...

...as you mentioned. They left it open to basically anybody to sign up. It seems to make sense that they would target existing Audi owners for the RS4 at an event like this instead of just any guy off the street.

However, apparently even a few current owners may be to blame for the rest of us losing our chance at test driving the RS4 at these events.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly. they should have charged an entry fee to keep out the riff-raff.

i would have gladly paid to attend this event, if i was guaranteed some drive time in the RS4.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Default if audi had charged a dime people would have complained just as much as they are no

if not more.

really, it think the best senerio would have been a track event with hot-lap ride alongs. i attended a ferrari event like that once. everyone had a great time and no one complained.

with that having been said, i think that everyone has lost site of the fact that audi is really trying to promote the Q7 more than the RS4.

and, if you're willing to pay to drive the RS4 - attend Audi's RS4 driving event in Imola. You pay ~$3k for a two day course where the whole event is centered around driving the snot out of someone elses RS4 on a dedicated racetrack with private instruction.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 AM

so what was it? the clutch dumps on the course or the 145 MPH freeway stunts that killed the event?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Or just make it "by invitation only" for current clients who drive an S or RS car.

They've got to have already defined the target market for these cars...and I'd assume a large chunk of that demographic is current Audi owners. For example...It makes sense that somebody coming off of a lease on an '04 S4 would be somebody that they'd want to go out of their way to cater to...although...maybe that's TOO logical for AoA!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 AM

When is/was this driving event in Imola?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:41 AM

september i think
Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Of course, they said that; they had to

How many people would have showed up if they told the truth...

"Come out and drive the new A3, an overpriced, underperforming hatchback!"

Yawn.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of seeing posts with people bitching about Audi and SOT