RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Initial impressions of MagnFlow exhaust. Basically a more engaging aural experience.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial impressions of MagnFlow exhaust. Basically a more engaging aural experience.

At idle not much different from stock in S mode. Perhaps a bit higher pitch, if that is the correct technical term. Maybe frequency is the correct term, but I'll leave that to sound experts to comment upon. The sound is much different from about 3000rpm up under load. At highway cruising speeds it is not much different than stock in S mode. More burble when backing off throttle. Can't say that I noticed any difference in throttle response or power. Overall I like, although despite the tech's efforts to adjust the tips after running at normal operating temperature and letting it cool overnight, they seem to me to protrude about a half inch more than stock when hot. Not a big deal to me because the sound makes up for that shortfall. BTW, while the oval tips are more appealing to me, I have already gotten compliments on the round tips on the MF system. Finally, the stock system is about 8'X4' long so is a bit unwieldy although not too heavy for even one person to maneuver.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

who did your install
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree pretty much 100%...

...I guess that means I installed mine correctly.

I wasn't really sure if there was any power increase, but after driving it for 3-4 days, it feels more noticeable. Especially if you keep the rpms up and really rip through the gears in S mode with the traction control off. Maybe my ECU is adapting to the increased flow. I'm sure having about 50lbs less dead weight isn't hurting either.

Another comment about the sound...when you're driving you don't really hear how loud it is. If you're standing behind someone driving it, it sounds much more aggressive than stock. Another way to experience this (I just did this at lunch) is to park with the rear of the car facing a wall and give it a few blips, getting the rpms up over 4k...whoa nellie!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI, if you reset ECU after install, it should adapt almost immediately.

When reset, the ECU advances timing, and resets the fuel adaptation variables. At WOT, the ECU doesn't look at the adaptation values, it continuously adjusts a/f ratio and timing on a revolution by revolution basis.

Until the fuel adaptation values are reestablished, you might feel a slight difference at mid throttle settings.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Justin Johnson at Clair Audi
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah...I'm still dragging my heels about getting a VAG.

not only because I think it's a ripoff for a $5 cable and some software (which you can dl for free anyway), but I know that if I get it, I'm going to be wasting a lot of time messing with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The novelty wears off quickly.

But, when you need it, you need it.

I have no problem supporting a small company that develops a useful product. Compared to the $60,000 software packages that I use, with 5%-10% maintenance per year, $350 for a cable and license is petty cash.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: FYI, if you reset ECU after install, it should adapt almost immediately.

Can disconnecting the battery reset your ECU?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes...unfortunately it also resets your seat memory, radio settings, etc.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Reset it with Vag-com

Disconnecting the battery seems silly. Vag-com you can reset the two ECU's and not the seat memory or radio. Just remember to reset ECU1 and ECU2

Quick Reply: Initial impressions of MagnFlow exhaust. Basically a more engaging aural experience.