RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Interested in an RS4 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in an RS4 purchase

Guys
I am about to abondon my M3 (SMG) and take a plunge into the Audi World. I want the RS4. I have a few dealers wanting to give me $2-3K off the total price. Can you share your experience with this car from purchase to maintenance. Any good feedback is appretiated.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Everyone hates the car and is waiting to dump it when the new V8 M3 come out!

NOT! Almost everyone loves their RS4. Just wait until bad weather hits(that include rain) and you will be glad that you are not driving the M3. Snow, even better. BUT when the new M3 does come out, expect it to have better performance numbers than the Rs4 at a lower price. That doesn't mean it is a better car.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Everyone hates the car and is waiting to dump it when the new V8 M3 come out!

I agree. I need a good high-performance AWD. Should I stick with the S4. The RS4 I think is going to be unique like the RS6 - thoughts>
Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you can be happy with the performance of the S4 than you don't want the RS4

The RS4 is actually an S4 on steroids. Does anyone really need all the power of the RS4? NO. But I sure would want it if the car was in my budget. You need to decide which is right for you and how much you are willing to spend. Its your money.BTW, I love my S4, but would love an RS4 even more!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 PM

Default If I could not have my RS4, I would go back to the S4. Both are great, but different..

The RS4 to me has pays its dues when taking tight corners at speed. Understeer is gone, the car handles in ways I never experienced with the S4.

Other thing is speed. The S4 just isn't that fast anymore these days. The RS4 is.

And then the sound.. oooooh the sound of that engine. Even in 1st gear at 3k RPMs..

But the S4 is greatness as well, just of a different more civilized kind.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Default well said

Faster != better. There are already faster cars out there than the RS4. This idea that the M3 is going to be better because it will be faster (essentially lighter with similar power) means bubkus to me.

Full-confidence driving in the wet, snow and dry, gorgeous looks and comfort, and one of the greatest engines ever built are why I chose the RS4.

Remember what Enzo Ferrari said, it's not how fast you go but how you go fast. There smoothness of the RS4 powerband and its rev happy nature help make it a peerless choice amongst a sea of mediocrity and flashy speed.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 AM

Default I drove an RS4 on Saturday

Actually, I tracked my car, then an RS6, then an Elise, then an RS4 in 4 back-to-back sessions at Tremblant.

The RS4 maybe a great road car, but none of the Audis can hold a candle to the comparable BMW's in stock form. The RS4 suffers from the same high-speed turn oversteer/understeer wobble that plauges the RS6. It is not terribly confidence inspiring. The manual was very nice, the sounds are incredible, the speed is pretty good, but I came away thinking that - on track - it wasn't too much better than an Evo or STi - likely due to the extra 1/2 ton it's carrying around. Weight is the bain of their existence. Case in point - the Elise.

So, I know the response to this will be that the RS4 wasn't intended to be a track car. Fine. But then, why buy it? If you're looking for an all-weather commuter, isn't the S4 enough? Do you need a car that will get you arrested in less than 6 seconds? Call me crazy, and I think it's a neat car, but if it's not intended to be an incredible track car, I don't see the point of it on the road. 420hp is useless in the US on the street.

The seats are sure nice, though!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 AM

Default Could be something wrong with the car you drove?

There is no apparent understeer on my RS4 and I've recently test driven the Cayman S, the 335i and the 997 C4S.

I found the RS4 to be more scalpel like than any of those cars, less free wheeling in the back, but in no way did it understeer in any of the very hard turns I put it through.

I didn't buy my car for the track, but I did buy it for the mountain twisties which are somewhat similar circumstances but maybe less extreme in terms of speed. The S4 understeer vs. the RS4 is 200% noticeable after driving the B7 for 11 months prior to my RS4.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with 86 Coupe GT. See the 5th Gear RS4 vs M3 CS comparison.

Have you tracked your car yet ben?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well stated! I am very happy with my S4 and yes if i had the money i would consider the RS4

Quick Reply: Interested in an RS4 purchase