RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Interesting Point: Bugatti Veyron Uses All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Point: Bugatti Veyron Uses All Wheel Drive

I think it is interesting that the "no holds barred" Bugatti Veyron utilizes an all-wheel drive system to best collect the power and geometry of this excellent car and transfer this into the ultimate driving experience of the Veyron.

I also noticed on Supercars.net that there are 14 RS4s that are listed as the top speeds on the famous Hockenheim course and 22 M3s. I think this speaks extremely well considering the number of years and sheer number of M3s produced compared to the comparitively sparce number of RS4s in existence.

And, on the Nurburgring their are only two BMWs that have a reported time faster than an RS4, an M3 CSL 7:51, a BMW X5 Lemans 7:49 (what is this thing?) and thenm the RS4 with an excellent time of 7:58. Here is an interesting thread on supercars.net discussing the RS4's Nurburgring capabilities:

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=0&fID=2&tID=8 7373
Old 11-11-2006, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

X5 Lemans = 750 hp V12 from the McLaren F1
Old 11-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: X5 Lemans = 750 hp V12 from the McLaren F1

OK, well then. So, I guess what you are saying is this is not the typical X5 that I see running around my neighborhood? (grin)

I just did a little reading on this car - it was a "one off" and was never offered for sale. It had s a few other mods:

"The most striking change to the exterior is the bonnet scoop for the air from the radiator. Further exterior modifications were made at the front and rear bumper covers, the wing skirts and sill covers, the exterior mirrors and wheels. The chassis with 20-inch wheels was lowered by 30 millimetres (1.18 inches). Depending on the type of duty this car is applied to, 315/35 or 275/40 tyres are mounted on its front wheels, while its rear wheels are generally fitted with 315/35 tyres. Axle load distribution is almost ideal, at 51:49% front/rear.

Exterior dimensions are basically the same as on the standard X5. The interior, on the other hand, looks quite different, with a definite high-tech touch. The more comfortable standard seats were replaced by four bucket seats with a particular emphasis on sportiness, and aluminium stands out as a predominating element throughout."

I also read that it used extensive use of aluminum so they whittled the weight down too.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Umm... why is it surprising?

Every VW product over 500hp uses all-wheel-drive.

Gallardo, Murcielago, Veyron...

At some point, you have to use as much traction as is available to get power to the pavement... AWD is the answer to that. The only POSSIBLE arguments against AWD are:

1) cost
2) complexity
3) weight

And only the 2nd and 3rd really factor into most "supercar" projects nowadays.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Default That has nothing to do with VolksWagon..

as you said, its an issue of traction right?

Bugatti might have financial ties to VW, but let's not pretend like it's a VW engineered product, please.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Umm...

... that's hilarious.

Just saying that as someone who bought the first black U.S. Gallardo and someone who went to the Veyron's launch party in Wolfsburg... not that I know anything.

I'm quite happy to say that it is a VERY Volkswagen project. In fact, the Veyron represents everything that was right about the Dr. Piech era at Volkswagen... as soon as I sat in one, I said to myself "I like being in the Pagani... but it's a kit car compared to this."
Old 11-11-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Yes I'm aware..

But this is not a VW car, it's not as if the people building Jetta's are building Bugattis, regardless of the financial and engineering powerhouse behind it.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're clearly missing the point here. Obviously Cameron isn't stating it has a VW badge on it.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Default You might be missing the point here

His words were:

"Every VW product over 500hp uses all-wheel-drive."

If that is not tantamount to a VW badge, then what is? The Bugatti is not a "VW product" and I fail to see how you can call the Lamborgini a VW product either.

After all there is NO VW badged product that has 500hp, so the connection is a little tenuous.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Ever seen the "X shaped" brand chart?

Every single brand on the chart is a Volkswagen brand. Every single one.

Saying that Lamborghinis and Bugattis aren't VW products is like saying that Ivory soap and Downy fabric softener aren't Gillette/PG products.

Saying these aren't Volkswagen products is just silly, and not only undercuts the long-term vision of Piech's various acquisitions but rubs me the wrong way as a Volkswagen believer. You cannot believe in the future of Lamborghini or Bugatti or Audi without believing in the future of Volkswagen.

Quick Reply: Interesting Point: Bugatti Veyron Uses All Wheel Drive