RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Just came back from the "SOT" event- drove the RS4!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just came back from the "SOT" event- drove the RS4!

I had to drive the Q7 to get down to the RS4 area where people were getting private test drives in the RS4 with an employee (for the ride+drive, not a real employee). There were 2 cars there, an imola and a dark grey color (Daytona). They both looked sick in person with the flared fenders and the wheels. I got to drive the imola car and I just about got a woody when I started it up...what a great sound! It was a lot like my B6 S4, but more thoaty and pronounced. The clutch was typically soft and the shifting was very precise. The car handled very flat compared to a B6 S4 and felt a lot more planted. The power was fairly impressive, but obviously gets more impressive as the revs rise. I took it up to probably 7000 rpm or so (the car had 400 miles on it). It really loves to rev and the powerband is very smooth. The torque wasn't that great nor did I expect it to be. I got to drive it for about 10 minutes or so on some smooth side roads with some twists. The car was so smooth and effortless yet so planted and confident. It's everything I expected. The ride was very good over bumps/imperfections as well. The car would make a great daily driver IMO. The steering was on the heavy side, but then again I am driving an A6 right now so I can't really say exactly how it compares to a B6/B7 S4 although it feels a tad heavier. The new 60/40 quattro felt great and I could hardly feel the difference. Overall I am left wanting one..badly. Is it worth the price? I think so. Unfortunately I can't justify spending that much on a car in my current financial position and the leases are sure to suck for awhile. My plan is to probably pick up a used one in a couple years. For you guys who are waiting for one soon, I'm jealous!

On a side note, this event was pretty well put together and all attendees were treated very well. It was at the Four Seasons Hotel which is a pretty nice place and breakfast was provided as well. You could pretty much drive any Audi model that you wanted and there was a lot of freedom as far as driving time, routes, etc. I spent 7 years in the car business and I doubt that BMW or MBZ would spend the money to put on an event of this level. I know that when I sold Audis the training events were much better than the ones offered by MBZ when I sold them. I could have spent hours at this event, but I really just went to check oout the RS..
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review. What city are you in?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default San Diego. The event was in Carlsbad..

Audi USA said there would be no "closed course" driving at the SD or LA events, but I think I read there are some RS4 specific driving exercises at the other cities.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default sweet! thanks for sharing. chicago is next and I can't wait to drive one!

did you take any pics?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does anyone at AoA know what is going on? I was told no drives in SD.

When I called SOT I was told "no RS4 drives in San Diego" so I decided to go the the San Francisco event. I love Audi's but the communication could certainly be better.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No pics : ( I just barely made it there on time for the 8am start.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I don't believe you'll be driving it in Mountain View either. If you do try to bring it by the

dealership! We are only 4 miles away!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 PM

Default me too THAT RS4 is out out of hand

<ul><li><a href="http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&amp;e ntryID=16349876&amp;groupID=101256666&amp;adTopicI D=2&amp;Mytoken=6234BFAD-543C-14FB-7E2410B01F4EBB8D47287799">LINK</a></li></ul>
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There is supposed to be some timed course set-up at most of the events
Old 04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default drove it =) ... SD let you test drive around their street and freeway route [more]

hot damn this car is amazing !!! i was hitting some amazing speeds without much effort =)

*drools*

Quick Reply: Just came back from the "SOT" event- drove the RS4!