RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Just got the car back from a week long DRC replacement...something is f'ed up..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the car back from a week long DRC replacement...something is f'ed up..

and i'm not happy. Took them 48 hours to get the hydraulic fill right, whatever that means.

Here's the problem... the ride is ok, a little harsh perhaps but ok. However the handling for some reason has gone to ****. I dont know what they did but any hard turn induces a crazy "chatter" from the front end now. It's as if the tires refuse to bite and they are just skipping across the tarmac. The t/c light comes on in almost every hard turn and the front end literally hops up and down while the tires struggle for purchase. Not fun. I checked the pressures and they were at 46 all around so i lowered them to 40 psi but no difference. I can't figure out wtf they could have done to create this. I'm running H-Sport sways F/R, is it possible that now the front end is so stiff that the sways are causing a problem? Could it be alignment related, I thought about this but the car tracks fine and I cant imagine how bad it would have to be out of alignment to cause this.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm not looking forward to trying to explain this to them and expecting a real resolution, should i jus tsuck it up and go stasis? Damn this car is starting to lose its luster....
Old 11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alignment fubared?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

did they warranty it?
Old 11-08-2008, 02:56 AM

Yes, was done under warranty, front shocks only however.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:58 AM

Default Certainly possible, the did not align it...

they claimed it wasnt necessary. It tracks straight although i know that doesnt mean anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They didn't get the fill right or they made some other blunder during the install...

As common as the DRC complaints are here, it still appears that the dealerships are ill equipped, from a knowledge perspective, to deal with these DRC issues. The problem you're experiencing sounds as if it's easy to replicate and it's quite noticeable. Take the car back, have the shop foreman to ride with you or drive the car and let him feel what you do. Make them fic it. It's not your responsiblity. This isn't a problem that you should have to foot the bill for by going the Stasis route. Stasis is a good idea, but Audi needs to fix this problem for you first.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That may be the problem, on the RS6 any one who has had only two shocks replaced at

once it didn't work. Mine all 4 replaced and center valves and good for 6 months anyway. Good luck, few ever get it fixed right.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Thanks for the heads up...

do you know if anyone on the RS6 board has had any handling issues after a DRC replacement?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Only if it wasn't fixed correctly yes. Some have had same issues as you and

in terms of alignment thats not the issue, we have confirmed its not needed and wasn't on my car. Your symptoms sound like the pressure is still not right. One of my friends has similar effects as if its too stiff which is his description but he also only had two replaced. I think it may just not be enough pressure though. As my DRC was going thats how it felt to me as it failed that any sweeping turn on the highway it felt like it was skipping or could breakaway at any time. Especially your 'clatter' description.

You may want to do a long search on the RS6 forum for DRC and read descriptions and see what fits.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default <Raises hand>. Initially dealer replaced front shocks, but not the accumulators (they said

it wasn't necessary!). Ride was crap of course - rear end skipped left or right over bumps with dangerous unpredictability. I showed them the Audi technical manual which specifically stated that the accumulators need to be replaced if the shocks were leaking. Did they replace yours? Oh, and after they did replace the accumulators, the ride was still crap, so I opted for STaSIS (which does indeed clunk, at least on my car).

Quick Reply: Just got the car back from a week long DRC replacement...something is f'ed up..