RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Just got the new BMW Driv.. I mean Car & Driver, 2007 Preview Edition, time to go poop in it...

Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got the new BMW Driv.. I mean Car & Driver, 2007 Preview Edition, time to go poop in it...

I've wanted to post this for a while but keep forgetting. I'll keep it short and I know this has been discussed in other RS4 forums in more depth.

Basically, I think its obvious that C&D used some very subtle and clever tactics in their review of this car. By opening up from the very first sentence and proceeding to fill the entire first page of the review with comments and tails of the mysterious but subtle rear tail wiggle at speeds north of 150mph, Car & Driver might as well have asked Audi, "when did you stop beating your wife?"...

When the article finally gets around to mentioning highlights of the car, it fails to mention the Lamborgini derived brakes and the DRC technology, two very significant elements of the car.

In the end they illuded to BMW but this time failed to make comparisons to the M3 (as I recall), where as in the past (as I recall) comparisons between to the M3 were common in its pages when discussing the S4. Hmmm.

And then there were the alternative counterpunches. None of them seemed able to offer an unequivicating endoresement of this car.

I think the evidence is clear that C&D is incapable of being fair when it comes to Audi's cars. I'm not saying that they're the only one to make back handed compliments, but this particular piece seemed over the top.

And the kicker? The cover of that issue barely mentioned the long awaited review, relegating it to the bottom tagline. Oh wait, yes they did give the RS4 a full cover, but that was back before it was a preduction car at a time when they could pan it with further plausible deniability. How convenient.

Anyway, I'm out of toilet paper and have to go, ta ta....
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

be careful though, it might not hurt C&D as it does your ****
Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the brakes were developed for the RS6...

then used on the Gallardo, then used on the RS4.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Otherwise, eh...who cares.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 AM

Default Is C and D really incapable of being fair?

I was also disappointed that Car and Driver took so long to review the RS4 and I think the Audi is the best all-around sedan on the market. However, although you state that they are incapable of being fair when it comes to Audi's cars, didn't they rate the s4 better than the m3 in a comparison several years ago? In addition, hasn't the Audi a4 has made their 10 best list multiple times. If I'm wrong I'll pile on right along with you, but if I remember correctly, I'd question whether they are so clearly biased against Audi.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I know the B5 S4 beat the M3 and I believe the B6 did as well in C&D.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ISATMemory, but I think their last comparo, with the S4 proving superior

in performance, finagled some price/bang for the buck nonsense at the end. I have always liked the fact that DC does comparos, but I would generally agree that BMW seems to enter each contest as a 'favorite son' condidate.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Jesus, they gave the car the cover before it was even available in Europe

They didn't even have time to put the car through the test runs, but still devoted a lot of time to the car before the public could buy one.

An RS4 is my ideal car, but the fact is, for pure driving fun, the RWD M3 will always get better mag reviews, whether it's C&D, Road & Track, or Evo magazine in the UK... they bring up valid points from a comparison standpoint, but for ownership, the RS4 is the all-rounder no one can touch, IMO.

The only thing about the test writeup I didnt like was the Counterpoint section, where Mark Gillies said a Mitsu Evo would be a better choice. The guy was with Automobile magazine for years, and is a good writer, but he has NEVER liked Audis. He goes too far in the other direction...
Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Jesus, they gave the car the cover before it was even available in Europe

Fair points. Perhaps their first page coverage of the one nitpick threw everything out of perspective for me, it seemed a little heavy handed.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Car and Driver has and will always be BMW-centric...

Until they get some real editors. Get a real magazine that has open-minded reviewers and editors. CD's BMW love affair pisses off everyone except BMW owners. I don't think I've ever read a CD article the doesn't mention some BMW in some context somewhere in it's text. Never a word about BMW reliability issues and the dismal fit and finish of the 3 series interior - worse than a VW Jetta - or the multitude of problems with the "i-Drive" system. No, no, just "telepathic steering" and "buttery shifter" till you're ill reading about it. It's like listening to a 14 year old girl talk about her first boy friend.