RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Just had my first..."Damnn!!"...moment

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my first..."Damnn!!"...moment

Thought I would share a little about my morning drive. I got my RS4 in November and it has been a joy to drive. In '98 I had purchased a M34door 5speed and I absolutely loved it. It was poised, balanced and the faster you drove it the better it seemed to get. I held on to it for quite a while because honestly there was nothing else like it available...that is until the RS4.

I remember when I first started driving the Audi I was surprised by its weight. The RS wasnt as immediaetly tossable as my M3 but overall it is a better car.....(Ok that was a long setup to the story. Lets get to it)

I was up early in the morning heading to Pasadena for a haircut. I use the RS as a daily driver and anyone who knows LA can probably understand that often you dont get the chance to really drive your car.(Yeah traffic is as bad as they say...and worse)

Anyways, during the early mornings traffic is lighter and I usually take the opportunity to allow the car to strectch her legs a bit. I was traveling at a pretty good clip when I passed by a BMW 545. I was moving at a good pace and after a short bit that same 545 came roaring up and passed on the right.

Usually I'm not into the whole racing or "establishing dominace" on the road thing, but something made me say.."Ok..lets play!"

I didnt even bother to shift the car out of 6th gear, but I immediately give it a "lil gas", and the RS4 start to reel in the Bimmer like a fat kid eating cake. We go into a series of high speed "S" like turns and I can see that the Bimmer is having a little trouble keeping up the pace, so I switch lanes ( I passed on the right..bad bad me) and go by him without so much as a pause. As I'm passing I see a slower car ahead of my and switch lanes to the left. At this point I'm moving pretty good. Im not exactly sure but Im guessing im doing between 100-110 in these fast sweepers. (yeah..yeah ..I know stupid...but wait it gets better)

After switching lanes, I go into a pretty sharp left hand turn that is slightly down hill. As I approach the apex of the turn I suddenly see a wall of stopped cars. OH ****! Well the first thing to go through my head was .."I f**ed UP" immediately followed by..who invented liqiud soap and why..and How can I get more BJ's from my GF without having to listen to stories of how her day went.

Luckily for me, while on side of my brain was being metaphysical..the other side was saying slam on the brakes!! Stupid! I was hoping to slow the car down enough so that the impact would not cause to much injury.. So Im in the middle of a sharp, on a down grade and I haul on the brakes......and..nothing..yeah the car acts as if braking parachutes had been deployed and stops without so much as a squeal coming from the tires..DAMMMMNNNN....This car is F**ing GREAT..ok I didnt quite shout it, but I was thinking it..and really loudly also.

Once I started breathing again traffic seemed to speed up and off I went without even getting close to hitting anyone. Ok I know what you guys are think.."Your Lucky" and "Driving that way is dangerous" and you are right. Like I said I dont race around but every once in a while, I just succumb to the speed and ease that this car makes you feel.

Ok the point of this was to say....The RS4 is wonderful machine capable of doing everything well. And, it allows you to recover from situation that other cars would not...so Folks enjoy the car, have fun,

but Be Safe Out There...
Old 02-03-2007, 06:41 PM
BAM

Default Cute.

:-)

So far I've only pushed it to 240km/h - still with enough room.. but ran out of clear road.

The brakes _feel_ soft but they are good - very good for quite aggressive driving. I am sure they can be improved for even more performance.. and I will look into that once I start going to the track more often.

P.S. I hope your gf doesn't read your thread.

*smile*
Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Believe me, we all understand.....

I think for the most part, most of us are pretty responsible, but how can one own this car and not push it once in a while? How can one resist the temptation not to play every now and then with an unsuspecting participant? We've all done it.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 AM

2nd. . . guilty
Old 02-04-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Amen... and at 60 yrs old, I should know better :-)
Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Next time

drop it in 3rd, red-line it to 95-100 mph, and then shift into 6th. He'll drop a 1/2 mile back and race home to google WTF is a RS4, :-).
Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Redline in 3rd is 80mph
Old 02-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Not on mine. . . I'm consistently hitting 95 - 100 at 8,250 rpms.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 101.85 mph @ 8250 rpm in 3rd gear with Pilot Sport A/S tires

I measured 81 rpm per mph with my hand held GPS and VAG-COM recording engine speed.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM

I love precision - thanks.