RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Light rattling sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light rattling sound from engine

I've noticed a light rattling sound coming from the engine when it's cold. I've read about this where it only lasts for a few seconds, but for me, it seems to last until the engine Is fully warmed up. The last oil change was 3,000 km or roughly 1,800 miles. I haven't checked the oil level yet.
Is this a normal sound or is it a sign of timing chain or tensioner issues?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have heard some strange "whining" sounds as well. Only when it is cold. It goes away as soon as it warms up. I thought it may have been my steering pump but my S4 does it as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
I've noticed a light rattling sound coming from the engine when it's cold. I've read about this where it only lasts for a few seconds, but for me, it seems to last until the engine Is fully warmed up. The last oil change was 3,000 km or roughly 1,800 miles. I haven't checked the oil level yet.
Is this a normal sound or is it a sign of timing chain or tensioner issues?
I've noticed the same thing! Granted the weather is about -10C to -15C in Calgary now-a-days. Let's wait for the more experienced owners to chime in. I'm very curious as to what it is. It's always bit of chatter for about 2 or 3 sec then goes away completely.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your $25,000 motor in your $70,000 car has developed a light rattle until it's warmed up and you haven't checked the oil yet!???!!! Might be too late by now Inspect for:

- level
- coolant (milky color)
- viscosity - maybe whomever changed it last refilled with the wrong oil - the 2012 Ford I bought recently runs 5W-20 for chrissake
- odor - fuel dilution is a known problem with these cars and will destroy the lubricity of the oil
- feel - is it slippery? Sounds dumb but if it's not, it could be contaminated with something.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ELEVENS.

I just picked the car up on Saturday and it was fully inspected (PPI) at an Audi dealer so I should have been clearer: although I didn't check the level, it was properly inspected. All service was done at an Audi dealer as well.

I will check it myself again, just to be sure though.

I take it from your response, this rattle is not normal...

Last edited by G35Dalf; 12-12-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
Thanks ELEVENS.

I just picked the car up on Saturday and it was fully inspected (PPI) at an Audi dealer so I should have been clearer: although I didn't check the level, it was properly inspected. All service was done at an Audi dealer as well.

I will check it myself again, just to be sure though.

I take it from your response, this rattle is not normal...
I don't think it is normal but I have learned everyone has different sensitivity to sounds (I have a friend who can not be in t he same room as any plasma tv). We do have a low oil sensor but yes check it out.

How long does the noise last? Can you record it with your phone and post it?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
How long does the noise last? Can you record it with your phone and post it?
Thanks Reggie.
It lasts several minutes until the engine is fully warmed up. I'll record and post it shortly.

I just tried to make an appointment at the Audi dealer to change the oil (just to be sure) but they have nothing open until Dec 24. Can I bring it to a Volkswagon dealer or somewhere else as I'd like to be sure the oil is done asap.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you in Calgary?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not heard of very many engine problems at all. Very tough (and tight) motors. Like Reggie suggested, a sound clip might be useful. I'd certainly do a used oil analysis at the next change. Depending upon the relative concentrations of wear metals, it's indicative of bearings, cam chain, piston skirts, camshaft, etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I've not heard of very many engine problems at all. Very tough (and tight) motors. Like Reggie suggested, a sound clip might be useful. I'd certainly do a used oil analysis at the next change. Depending upon the relative concentrations of wear metals, it's indicative of bearings, cam chain, piston skirts, camshaft, etc.
ELEVENS,

kind of that sound, but it's been really cold. I know they're two different engines. But I don't know if this is what OP is mentioning.

And,

I know this might be a dead horse that's been beaten to death over and over, but what are your thoughts on the Castrol SLX LL-03 oil? Or even Amsoil low SAPS Euro Oil. Both 5W30

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Light rattling sound from engine