RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Low hissing sound from speakers when car is switched off and keys are out of the ignition.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low hissing sound from speakers when car is switched off and keys are out of the ignition.

Does anyone else have this problem. I have noticed it from the beginning, it comes from the speakers. At the first service I showed it to my service advisor and he said it was normal. Another time when I went to top up the oil, the service advisor said it was not supposed to be there (go figure!) The shop floor man came out but his hearing was bad, or mine was is good, because he couldn't hear it. Suffice to say, nothing was done.
Just curious, anyone else have this kind of problem? Back in the day I had the same problem in an old Golf but this was due to me adding an Amp, a Ground Loop Isolator took care of that problem. But I don't think this is the same issue. Anyway, any help would be appreciated..
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Low hissing sound from speakers when car is switched off and keys are out of the ignition.

i have the same thing. with no key in and a door open i can hear noises coming from the speakers. it's very low, but in a garage or quiet place i can hear it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Low hissing sound from speakers when car is switched off and keys are out of the ignition.

I have it too.

Just figured it was normal. Strange, but not a problem in my opinion.

Regards,

Shawn
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is normal. The amp, etc. for the sound system powers up every time a door is opened or closed...

on the car. When the amp is powered you will hear the hiss.

If you sit in the car for about 3-5 minutes without opening or closing a door the hiss will stop when the amp powers back down.

Try it and see!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 AM

will try..thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Its normal its the RNS-E Nav system doing it.

Only reason I know this is I upgraded my S4 from the stock radio to RNS-E. It will run for 3-5 minutes after the last door is closer/locked in the car. The OS for the head unit preboots so to speak and is online and ready to go for you. It needs to do this to lower the wait time you would experience to listen to your mp3's etc. Keep in mind its trying to read SD cards for song file names and other song info.

If you want turn off the car, lock the doors and sit tight (not touching the radio or door lock buttons etc) for 3-5 minutes and you'll hear the hissing and then a light pop and it self powers down.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd. The amp turns on when you unlock the car and stays on until you lock the car or it times out
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Its normal its the RNS-E Nav system doing it.

Cheers!, wish the guys at the dealership explained that to me!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Easy way to test my IT/preboot related theory on this....

Is to walk up to the car (while its been locked and sitting for a while) quickly unlock the doors get in start up and try to scroll through a full sdcard worth of songs. (have a few hundred on both cards)

You will see that it needs loading time to complete reading all the data.

Now if you repeat this and use the keyless entry from like 50 feet out and casually walk to your car put some stuff in the trunk maybe, start up, you'll get your songs on the memory cards instantly because it had enough time to read the cards already.

Think of it as like windows mobile device or an iphone thats fully turned off. Takes some boot time to get fully up and running.

I leave my complements with audi and aisin (the head unit manufacture) to program in this functionality trying to predict when the radio will be requested for use.

Leaving the extra few minutes to make sure the car is really being left off by its owner was a smart move on their part.

If you do this test at night or in a dark garage you'll also see the lcd screen of the rns-e is dimly lit, and when it all powers down you'll see it go fully dark.

Now if they could only figure out, if car not in gear and speed = 0 then do not set off seat belt gong, I would be a happy camper.

For those that care I shut it off anyway with VAG-com.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

To be accurate it's the Bose amp hissing - which the RNS-E turns on