RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Is it me or...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me or...

Does $900 sound high for the 50k maintenance on the RS4 (from the dealer)?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just took my RS4 in for its 25k service, however I feel like my price tag is going to be fairly high as well. Apparently the dealer found a clicking/cracking noise coming from the front right area whenever it goes over a bump and they need to hold it for a few days. Whatever the problem may be i hope it is covered under warranty.

As for a side note- When I replaced the tires on my car the tire place stole my tire pressure caps and replaced them with cheap ones that dont even thread my car. 4 new plastic caps from audi cost 3 bucks. Sigh.

I'll let you know the total cost for my maintenance once I get my baby back.

~Chazaki
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay so I got a call back from the dealer today. They claim all four shocks on my car need replacement (which they wont cover under warranty), I need two new front brake rotors and pads ($1600 at the dealer, so I'll be doing that myself), and the problem I brought it in for (the fact that I had to put 6 quarts of oil in the car over 6 thousand miles) they claim is normal with Audis and therefore they did nothing about it. So in the end my car with 21k miles on it got an oil change. I absolutely refuse to believe that any car is supposed to burn this much oil. No car I have owned, be it a BMW or Mercedes has EVER needed that much oil.

Personally I find this completely unacceptable. I purchase a car for $70k and at 20k miles i need a whole new suspension? If this continues to be the case down the road, with all these repairs and junk that shouldn't need to be fixed, I will never buy an Audi again.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a bunch of crap. The suspension should absolutely be covered. Many people have had their DRC suspension completely replaced with the new "B" parts on Audis dime, myself included. The cost of the brakes sounds about right for the Audi/Lambo parts bin, although still crazy high.

Burning through that much oil is definitely not right for this car. Do not overfill, or even fill to max. Right in the middle seems to be the sweet spot and then you should see "normal" behavior.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RS4bro
Does $900 sound high for the 50k maintenance on the RS4 (from the dealer)?
Yikes! That sounds way too high Clyde. I would call another dealer just to price check. Also, I thought the interval was at 45k and then at 55k (55k is a more comprehensive service) but nothing at 50k unless you feel like changing the oil.

...you could always ship her back to Texas and save yourself $900.

And to the DRC guy (Chazaki) - you need to talk to another dealer. My previous RS4 had the same problem and the first dealer would not replace the DRC under warranty but the next dealer did. Audi recently went so far as to come out with improved parts to do these replacements with so they know there's a problem. It could definitely be worth looking into. It could also be a great excuse to throw some coilovers on it! I've heard of other RS4 owners who burn a quart every 1k miles too. I didn't notice that in my old car but it seems to be somewhat "normal".

In any case good luck. These cars have their quirks (like any high performance car) and aren't cheap to maintain but they are so worth it. I've had 4 RS4 sightings in my entire life and I'm pretty sure 3 of them were the same car. I see 10x more Ferrari's than I do RS4's. That's pretty cool.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also own a BMW m5 as well as a BMW Alpina B7 and I haven't had to put nearly as much oil in both of those cars combined as I have had to in my Audi. I would be seriously surprised, upset, and disappointed if this is normal.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would recommend visiting Audizine. There is a lot more content there and if you search you'll find several threads on this topic I'm sure.

I'm with you...it doesn't sound normal to me but I don't think it's necessarily abnormal for an RS4.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would call Audi of America about the DRC. Friend of mine had his original claim denied by the dealer, but after a call to AoA, and a litle back and forth, Audi ended up paying for the parts, and he only paid for labor. That ended up being much cheaper than an aftermarket suspension.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Chazaki! I know how it feels when folks take you stuff.

Originally Posted by Chazaki
I just took my RS4 in for its 25k service, however I feel like my price tag is going to be fairly high as well. Apparently the dealer found a clicking/cracking noise coming from the front right area whenever it goes over a bump and they need to hold it for a few days. Whatever the problem may be i hope it is covered under warranty.

As for a side note- When I replaced the tires on my car the tire place stole my tire pressure caps and replaced them with cheap ones that dont even thread my car. 4 new plastic caps from audi cost 3 bucks. Sigh.

I'll let you know the total cost for my maintenance once I get my baby back.

~Chazaki
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Big B,

Good to hear from you...I agree which is why I cancelled the appointment. Actually the car has about 53K miles and it is time for an oil change so they were *suggesting* the 55k service.

And the only long trips this car will be making...will be round trip

Chazaki: I would definitely call AoA AND go to another Audi stealership.

Originally Posted by RS4Brian
Yikes! That sounds way too high Clyde. I would call another dealer just to price check. Also, I thought the interval was at 45k and then at 55k (55k is a more comprehensive service) but nothing at 50k unless you feel like changing the oil.

...you could always ship her back to Texas and save yourself $900.

And to the DRC guy (Chazaki) - you need to talk to another dealer. My previous RS4 had the same problem and the first dealer would not replace the DRC under warranty but the next dealer did. Audi recently went so far as to come out with improved parts to do these replacements with so they know there's a problem. It could definitely be worth looking into. It could also be a great excuse to throw some coilovers on it! I've heard of other RS4 owners who burn a quart every 1k miles too. I didn't notice that in my old car but it seems to be somewhat "normal".

In any case good luck. These cars have their quirks (like any high performance car) and aren't cheap to maintain but they are so worth it. I've had 4 RS4 sightings in my entire life and I'm pretty sure 3 of them were the same car. I see 10x more Ferrari's than I do RS4's. That's pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Is it me or...