RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Milltek downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milltek downpipes

Anybody know if I will run into any problems if I install downpipes with the stock exhaust?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you're going about this the wrong way.

No one, seemingly on the earth, has independently dynoed the downpipes, alone, to see what improvement they provide. So the assumption is, the bigger hp increase is actually in the aftermarket catback for this car since it's been dynoed at 20hp. I would do the catback first.

But to answer your question... The Milltek catback is designed to mate right up to stock downpipes, so the aftermarket downpipes should fit right on the stock catback.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Say Bye Bye Warranty
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Default Point taken, though not necessarily so...

There is something called the Magnuson-Moss act. Dealer needs to prove that the part for which he is denying coverage has failed because of an aftermarket part that the consumer has installed.

For example, if you get downpipes and have a DRC issue, dealer can deny coverage only if he can show that the downpipes caused the DRC system to fail (good luck with that). Now, as far as an engine failure, of course they will try to use that as an excuse and try to weasel their way out of it. Very subjective, and if they see you are prepared to take legal action, they likely will let it go (depends of course on the problem). Also, considering this is an exhaust element, it would be more of a burden to prove that than if you were to modify your intake and your engine blows (for whatever reason).

I had a similar experience with a dealer when I got a fault code for my 2 cats (on the BMW). Each one was well over $2500 and it should have been covered under the Federal Emissions standard (60K miles which eclispes the 50K mile manufacturer warranty). The dealer tried to weasel out saying my cat back exhaust was the cause (I didn't have the headers at the time). But since we all know this is BS (flow travels one-way and as the name suggests - this is a cat back exhaust which in no way could have caused the cats to fail) once I quoted the MM Act and was stern that I will explore legal channels to get it done, miraculously he said they won't have a problem doing it, get this: "out of good faith!" Riiight.

Now, if I had headers, which are pre-cats, than my case wouuld have been lost because one can make a plausible argument that the increased airflow and exhaust gases as a result of the aftermarket headers imposed 'undue stress' of the cats causing them to fail.

So at the end of the day, be mindful. If you install an aftermarket wheel and your DRC suspension leaks - can the dealer claim your new wheel is heavier and imposed undue stress to the suspension components. Maybe yes, maybe no. At the end of the day they try to minimize claims, and if you give them any avenue they can explore and deny a warranty item - they will likely do that!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wouldnt do that though.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is no warranty from Milltek on Dp's so if they fail on oyu then you're out $1k.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would be interesting to hear your reasoning
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Would be interesting to hear your reasoning

Somebody is selling them in the classifieds and would get them for now until I get an exhaust.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, well that's good enough a reason if it's a bargain. (subject line for short messages
Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Define fail? We're all a few years from a smog too.

Quick Reply: Milltek downpipes