RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Miltek exhaust/downpipes/headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miltek exhaust/downpipes/headers

How much of a performance upgrade do these mods net you?

Cost?

Does the mfgr warranty get voided?

thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are no headers available for the car as far as I know
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Answers....

No headers. Car already has great headers.

Catback has been independently dyno'd for a 20hp gain, but this will only happen when all the input parameters are perfect in the eyes of the ECU. Downpipe gains have never been independently tested to my knowledge.

If you throw an engine code, and you have DP's, chances are the warranty won't cover it if it can be linked to anything to do with the oxygen sensors, either directly or indirectly. No problem with cat-back.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Expensive but nice

Low end gains for non-res catbacks and downpipes is about 25 lb-ft of torque between 2500 and 4500 rpm. This makes a significant difference in driving, providing some good torque down low. At the top end the conditions did not allow me to accurately dyno. The ECU was dialing everything back (stock and with Millteks) and closing down the intake valve in the air box. If I were to guess, I'd guess a 25 to 30 hp gain at top end under best conditions with the catbacks and downpipes.

I personally like the sound that they make with the downpipes. Others don't. It's a matter of personal preference.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/milltek_rs4_exhaust.htm">Stratmosphere</a></li></ul>
Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Other benefits

The cost is high (check the Stratmosphere website per the link below). However,the sound is wonderful, especially at WOT under load, yet fairly civil around town. Others have documented gains on dynos; I know my car had a little more power and torque on the track against stock RS4s.

One added benefit - when I fired my car up after dinner at a local restaurant last night, it set off a rather obnoxious alarm system on the Honda Element parked next to me. People stared, but I snickered as I drove away.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com/milltek_rs4_exhaust.htm">http://www.stratmosphere.com/milltek_rs4_exhaust.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Currently 4 exhaust's are available...

Milltek (Stratmosphere)
Magnaflow
Tubi
GMG

Milltek are the only DP's though.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'm surprised we haven't read about you removing your intake flap.

i've been meaning to ask ELEVENS about it...not much feedback from him, other than the initial report.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default adding to the excellent info below....

...regarding cost, basically the range is under $1000 for the Magnaflow (some of us got it for $750 shipped, but I don't know if that discount is still available) to (alledgedly) $3000 for the Tubi. Add another $2200 for the Milltek downpipes. To my knowledge, no one has demonstrated a performance advantage for any of the exhausts mentioned, so it boils down to sound quality and tip design for most people.

The only portion of the warranty that gets voided with a cat-back is the warranty on the exhaust itself. With downpipes, the O2 sensor warranty would be affected also. This is a gray area, so don't quote me.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's because the motor already has headers.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just haven't had the time to do it yet.

I want to bypass the ECU and put in a switch to control the flap directly, so that I can do comparisons with VAG-COM and on the dyno. It looks like the best approach will be to purchase a second flap that I control, while leaving the solenoid on the 1st flap connected to the ECU, so there are no ECU fault codes.

Quick Reply: Miltek exhaust/downpipes/headers