RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

More power on the RS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power on the RS4

Folks
Not that I need more power, but what are the different mods you can do to the RS4 to add more power. I am not looking for serious mods like change the engine, etc.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Milltek

Get DPs, Catbacks from Milltek. Stratmosphere is also making a Intake and working on a chip. Not sure what the chip will do.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: any change in exhaust noise.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:16 AM

****, we have no idea what the *exhaust* will do, since nobody will post a dyno.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unfortunately there are currently no real power mods available for the RS4 yet

I think eventually there will be some things that will add significant amounts of hp, but for now all you would do is waste your money for very little gain as far as power compared to what you have. I bet in a couple of years there will be some good stuff out there.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default And I doubt there ever will be....

short of a supercharger, but to do that safely on an engine with a 12.5:1 compression ratio and such a tight engine bay is going to take a bit of work. This engine is already so highly tuned from the factory, there's just not much one can do. Show me any normally aspirated motor built for long term use like on a street car that can produce significantly over about 100hp per liter or more than about 80lb-ft per liter torque. That seems to be a wall that can't be overcome with current technology on a gasoline engine. Sure you may gain 10-15 horsepower after you sink in about $8000, but that will amount to nothing performance-wise at this overall power level. Remember, power requirements for continued increases in performance will grow at an exponential rate.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Snails :^)

But the motor would have to be rebuilt to reduce compression.... not really an option.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Exhaust for sure

Although dyno numbers aren't posted, you should have every confidence that the CAT BACK systems that are available/becoming avialable should produce an easy 20hp (depending on the configuration).

Although I work for MagnaFlow, I would still say this applies also to our friends at Milltek.

I'm still working on getting our dyno test results up, but I am just one dude inside a decent sized company. I've spend 2,000 miles in a stock RS4 and 10,000 miles in an exhaust-equipped RS4 and I swear to you, there's a big difference.

Couple that with a K&N panel filter and you should expect 25-30hp real world gain.

If that's not enough, it'll start getting expensive after that.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I know.. We may find out who shot JFK before we find out what the gains/losses are
Old 11-04-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Why should we feel so confident aftermarket exhausts are going to produce these gains?

In most vehicles, where design decisions were made to strike a balance between loudness and performance, sure, it is fair to assume that an exhaust system (particularly a full exhaust) will provide some decent gains in performance.

But the RS4 was designed for performance and performance only, noise be damned. Why should we assume that a few guys at Milltek or Magnaflow know more than teams of engineers at Quattro GmbH?

I remain sceptical until you and Milltek pony up with some dynos, or at least until your customers do.

Quick Reply: More power on the RS4