RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Muffler flap visible ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler flap visible ?

Hey guys, I'm at a loss with respect to noticing any change to the drive and sound of my car when using "sport" mode. Firstly, I purchased the car used and the previous owner installed a Euro wheel. All else appears stock on the car. Initially the "S" didnt light up on the dash but I tracked down the settings and changed them with a VAG so that the "S" now lights up when depressing the steering wheel sport mode button.

So here's the dilemma: I've taken a close up look up the tail pipes and do not see a flap and more importantly, I do not hear any difference in sound, whether the sport mode is on or off. Also, I'm not able to discern any difference in throttle response either ...

I'll eventually go to the dealer (due for an oil change next month) but in the interim anyone care to offer some ideas on this?

TIA,

Steve
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can see the flap(s) while looking into the pipes
with the car running have someone switch 'sport' on/off as you watch
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArthurPE
you can see the flap(s) while looking into the pipes
with the car running have someone switch 'sport' on/off as you watch
Thx. I'd love to see a pic as I have looked up the tailpipes with a flashlight and see no flaps ...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a distinct noise difference even at idle. I think it is even more pronouced at steady speed. eg: when I travel at 50-55 and I accelerate to 65-70 if I do it with the the flaps open/close (S on/ off) I can hear it loud and clear.

Cheers

nick
Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are the vacuum pipes connected to the actuators? It's a common mod to disconnect the pipes so that the valves are open all the time.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's because you have a non-valved Milltek exhaust system on your car if that pic in your sig is your car.

If you had valves in your exhaust, you would be able to see them with ease looking into your tailpipes.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bruised rs4
That's because you have a non-valved Milltek exhaust system on your car if that pic in your sig is your car.

If you had valves in your exhaust, you would be able to see them with ease looking into your tailpipes.
good eye, explains the situation
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bruised rs4

DOH ! That would certainly explain it ... So how can you tell from my pic ? I'm pretty sure the Miltek on my B6 had their name etched into it whereas this one doesn't. Gotta get under the car one of these days ...

EDIT: For the record, the sound is awesome but without many RS4's around, I haven't had an opportunity to compare

Last edited by Stevelev; 12-07-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What about throttle response ??

Seems there's no change to throttle response in Sport mode either. Can the car be vagged to maintain sport mode all the time or perhaps its chipped ??

Any other ideas ?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stevelev
Seems there's no change to throttle response in Sport mode either. Can the car be vagged to maintain sport mode all the time or perhaps its chipped ??

Any other ideas ?
That's weird. Even with an aftermarket exhaust I feel the same distinct difference in throttle response in Sport mode. The exhaust note is the same either way though.

Quick Reply: Muffler flap visible ?