RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My car is visiting it's home away from home again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is visiting it's home away from home again...

back at the shop again...

I had it scheduled to go in as the parts from the last visit arrived (rear parking sensor and overhead vanity light). Between scheduling (Saturday) and drop-off (yesterday) the check engine and the EPC separately came on for a while.

I love this car, but I'm F'in tired of dropping it off at the shop. If I wanted to drive the beat up 2005 A4 loaner or the Dodge minivan from Enterprise I would have bought them in the first place.

Here's my repair/visit list - some of these overlap:
3X - DRC (once for parts)
4X - rear parking sensor (once for parts)
1X - Check engine
1X - Check EPC
2X - Overhead vanity light rattling (once for parts)
1X - Windshield washer fluid low indicator
1X - Carbon fiber inlaid around shifter - corners peeling up
Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've been there - you have options

I also had a 2008 RS4 and it was in the shop pretty much all the time. I have the same frustration with driving crappy loaner cars while paying for one of Audi's halo cars.

Depending on the time out of service, number of repairs for the same problem, and the laws in your home state, you may qualify for lemon.

It is not an easy decision. I chose the RS4 over other very good cars last summer. I hated giving it back, but it was just a bad one.

Mine was problems from day one. I kept at it, waving the Audi flag, trying to be positive for six months. When I returned to the dealer for another CEL with misfires and the 6th visit for the DRC I was told the DRC parts were on back order and it would be a month before I got my car back - it wasn't safe to drive.

I left the dealer, got on the phone with AofA who confirmed the parts delay. I initiated the buyback process at that time. It is still underway, but nearly completed.

I would advise getting on the phone with AofA today. If you qualify for lemon, but don't want to lemon the car, Audi will fly their uber techs, Hans and Franz, in from wherever they keep them to fix your car and make it right. If you have qualifying events, you have leverage. With lemon, Audi loses at least $30K and probably more, as the title has to be flagged as a buyback. Would you buy one of those cars? I wouldn't.

I wish you well with whatever you choose.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is pretty sad to see how many people are having problems with this car.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

We should hold our get-togethers at the dealership just to save time, plue more people would come!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

But who would drive ?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: My car is visiting it's home away from home again...

What was the underlying problem and subsequent repair for the vanity light rattling? I think I have that one (made worse by cold weather). Dealer has tried twice to address it. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are a couple of different sources from what I have read. I had it and fixed it myself.

Does your rattle stop if you lightly put a finger on the dome light cover?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: There are a couple of different sources from what I have read. I had it and fixed it myself.

yes it does! At first I thought problem was vanity mirror light but I believe now the problem is with the larger entry light by sunroof dial.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like what I had.

What I did to fix it was:

1) pull off lens from dome light
2) stuff the spaces between the dome light housing and the headliner (on the sides of where the lens was) with wadded up black tape. Two small pieces were enough for me.
3) replace dome light lens
4) kick myself for not doing something so easy about that F(*&'n annoying rattle earlier
5) enjoy silence

I did it in a parking lot I pulled off into on a long road trip because it was cold and I couldn't stand the rattle over every bass hit and seam in the roadway. It took maybe 5 minutes.

Hope this does the trick for you.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Sounds like what I had.

Thanks. How do I get the dome light lens off? Also, dealer installed Euro wheel and I lost cruise control too. Any idea how to get that back? I knew I'd lose the wiper stalk functionality. No one replied to my posts on that question a few months ago...

Quick Reply: My car is visiting it's home away from home again...