RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My car's weight cutting progress report... Need to keep cutting into the fat. :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car's weight cutting progress report... Need to keep cutting into the fat. :-)

<b>CONDITIONS:</b>

No passenger seat, emptied, no spare and tank at half full.

Car's weight: <b>3112</b> lbs.

The following weights and percentages are with me sitting in the driver's seat...

Car's weight with me in it: <b>3326</b> lbs
Weight on front axle: <b>2033</b> lbs.
Weight on rear axle: <b>1294</b> lbs.
Percentage of weight on front axle: <b>61.1 %</b>
Percentage of weight on rear axle: <b>38.9%</b>

Weight on front left wheel: <b>996</b>lbs.
Weight on rear right wheel: <b>568</b>lbs.
Cross suspension percentage (front left with rear right): <b>47.1%</b>
Cross suspension percentage (front right with left rear): <b>52.9%</b>

Total weight distribution from left to right in percentage: <b>51.8 %</b> on the left side and <b>48.2%</b> on the right side.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: My car's weight cutting progress report... Need to keep cutting into the fat. :-)

Jet, have you considered drilling holes into some of the sheet metal to reduce weight? What about Carbon fiber, rims, hood, trunk and doors?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 AM

Default You need to hire someone from the NE pat's staff to video

tape the day you return your leased vehicle with the temporary intent to "return it."
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If money was no object then yes but then I would be doing this to a Porsche not an Audi...

Yes I will be looking into a CF hood but first I will most likely trim/cut out some of re-enforcements underneath the hood to save some weight. There are plenty of CF hoods available for the car. There is even a rear trunk available.

I don't know about CF doors for this car never seen them. But I will be cutting out all excess steel that make up the door.

as for light weight wheels, I looked into MG wheels but the big problem is and I wouldn't be surprised if the CF wheels fall into this category too is the MG wheel are time limited. After a few years you have to dispose of them because they crack. Even if an MG wheel as never been used and sat on a shelf waiting to be sold after X amount of time it is not to be used on a car. That's a lot of money thrown overboard.

I much prefer get a nice, solid and forged aluminium wheel and save the $$$ for another mod.

Here are some other areas we are lokking at to shave off some weight...

AC system 40 to 50 lbs I'm told. Heating system may go too. When we remove the dash there is a lot of weight in there. The radio, the climate control (?) The electrical system (wiring) is going to be cut down to a minimum. The ECU is going to be moved most likely inside the car. All the door are going to be trimmed/cut out, the hood too. I still have to remove the front door panels with all the crap associated with it. Lexan on the rear side windows to start and perhaps the back one too.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sounds like another 300 lbs easy. I would like.......

to hear about the results when you are finished. Are you going to rerun the 1/4 mile? What class are you shooting for to race in?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I'm hoping to get another 300-400 lbs out. The roll cage may weigh in at 125 to 150 lbs...

For now I'm only interested in tracking the car in DEs but I will certainly run in Solo sprint events (SOLO 1). Perhaps in the future I will race in a gentlemen's series (with strict no bumping rules) but not now.

My main concern is to not only get the weight down but to try to get a front to back percentage ratio around the 55 to 45 and get a cross weight percentage of 50/50.

I will keep you all posted on the progress of the car.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jet, I see the same effort spent in a 951 would be an insane...2800lbs to start.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think GMG has CF front fenders too.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL...like the Jackass episode when they trashed the rental car.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes thank you Bob I need to talk to them but I'm not sure if they have B6 parts.

Quick Reply: My car's weight cutting progress report... Need to keep cutting into the fat. :-)