RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My experience with the JHM shifter so far. Other users, pls chime in

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with the JHM shifter so far. Other users, pls chime in

Guys,

I've had the JHM shifter for a little over two weeks now and honestly, I am still a bit divided if I like it or not. As I want this to be a balanced review I will point out some of the pros, among which are:

1. Shorter throws,
2. More preciseness/notchiness,
3. Lesser effort in shifting [actually may be considered a con when it comes to shifting into reverse - see below]).

But overall there are several items I dislike and the jury is still out if this was indeed a worthy mod. I'm trying to figure out if these are hardware-specific or some are perhaps a function of the install and can be further tweaked/corrected.

Here are things I definitely dislike:

1. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is not a straight downward line, but imagine a mirror-image "h". In other words, going from 1st to 2nd feels like going from 3rd to 2nd. It is also very visible, so it's not just a feel. And hence why going from 3rd to 2nd is also 'weird'.
2. Height: this shifter is definitely taller than the stock one. I can't see for example the passenger seat heating buttons as the **** is in the way, while before the **** was never that high that it would interfere with my view of the bottom row buttons on the center console.
3. Reverse: there is zero effort needed to go into reverse, vs. the stock setup when I had to firmly press down then shift. As a result, I find myself going into reverse rather than in 1st in many situations, you can imagine what the implication of this could be (especially if someone not familiar with this setup could do).
4. Noise: the shifter is pretty noisy, there is an audible metallic 'clank' sound when shifting, most notably from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th, as well as when pressing down into Reverse.
5. **** positioning: the new setup really feels abnormal. I end up touching my passengers knees every time I shift to 5th or 6th (not a good thing is passengers are male LOL)! The **** is pushed way outwardly. For example, when in neutral, it feels likes the lever is in between where 5th and 6th would have been under stock.

I see JHM sell a 1-inch shorter lever (I def do not recommend getting the `regular' sized lever), as well as a spring that would introduce effort needed when shifting into Reverse, so perhaps some of these drawbacks can be adjusted (all at a further cost of course!)

Do others share a similar experience?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM
JMG
AudiWorld Member

I don't have the shifter, but it sounds very misaligned
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Is this the only SS out there?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default who was your installer

in your case, it is very misaligned. mine goes straight down into second with no issues at all... it took me about 2 days to get it adjusted to the way i liked it. i opted for the 1 inch shorter shifter so i dont have that problem and as far as the clunk i have that aswell but i personally feel like thats more a product of being a short throw shifter... i kinda like the clunk tho lol. mine goes into reverse rather easily too but that is only because i am using the softest spring they have, i like the effortless reverse. this shifter is ALL about the way it is adjusted, itll be a PITA till you get it right but once u have it right its amazing, ive owned both the jhm and the strat and id take the jhm again in a heartbeat
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM

I have the Neuspeed shifter and it is great
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I also have the shifter and I agree...

That it is misaligned. Take it back for adjustment.

I also have the reverse issue and it is a pain in the a*s sometimes.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have Stratmosphere SS...

i did the install and I am not very mechanically inclined. It could definately use a re-adjustment, but I like it better than stock. As the weather in Boston get colder, I will be interested to see if it remains as smooth. Today it was only in the low 40's and even though I park in a covered garage, the car was pretty cold when I got in it and I found getting into 1st to be a real beeach.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 PM

Default You need to do two things...

readjust the shifter (bolt attacking it to the tranny) so that you have a smooth shift from first to second. It may take awhile, but just do SMALL adjustments. Secind, get the stiffer reverse spring to prevent going into reverse by accident. Should have some with the shifter.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Thx to all for feedback. Planning to do the following:

1. Install the shorter by 1 inch shifter rod
2. Install a high tension spring
3. Adjust the shifter itself so going through gears (especially 1st to 2nd) is accurate

The feedback seems to suggest that this is actually a nice shifter ONLY if you can get it right after several attempts. With my BMW, both the UUC and Rogue shifters were a drop-and-go type install...