RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

My Stasis Motorsport install and review

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Stasis Motorsport install and review

Many thanks to Ryan DiSanto of Roninwheels fame for getting these for me at a superb price as well as doing a first rate installation. The entire process was very smooth and Ryan is simply great to deal with. I went with the "normal street" springs which are 700F/1200R. The dampers, were kept at the factory "aggressive street" settings.

I drove 115 miles to get the install done , but that also meant that I got to drive back 115 miles with the new suspension (which was a good thing BTW). There have been enough superlatives written to describe this set-up so I won't go into incredible this, fantastic that, etc, etc.

Here, then, is my objective analysis:

1. Handling:

The car feels about 400lbs lighter.

Through sweeping turns, you can push and push and push and composure is maintained to an uncanny degree.

Sharp throws of the wheel are met with instantaneous response and no excess body movement whatsoever upon recentering of the wheel.

I took the car well into triple digits and it just felt buttoned down. No funny body oscillations as the road dipped and curved.

In addition to my smaller diameter Euro wheel, the car has really been transformed in terms of responsiveness and the car/driver interface

2. Ride:

Over small road imperfections, and on smooth roads, it is superior to stock. The car returns to neutral much more quickly than stock and, as such, feels much more controlled even on less than perfect roads. To me the stock suspension always had this hint of a side-to-side shimmy like the car was just too heavy for it's underpinnings. There is no increased harshness whatsoever on smooth and slightly blemished roads. My wife rode back with me for 115 miles and not once did she feel that ride quality had diminished.

Over rougher roads, the feeling is only just slightly harsher, not annoying by any means. I found myself wondering "is this harsher than before? I think it is, but it's still pretty close" It is not anything to worry about.

The one scenario where there really is an increased harshness is when both wheels hit a bump/ridge etc at the same time. This happens with bridge joints, for instance. In this scenario, with both wheels hitting the road bump together, it is a harsher hit.....but it still isn't brutal by any means. Again, my wife rode 115 miles without a peep about the ride.

3. Ride height:

My rear is set to 26" on 275/30/19 tires. With stock tires, this would be 26.25". My front is at 25.875". On stock tires, that would equate to 26.125. I'm probably going to try and raise the fronts by another 0.125", although the perch is getting close to the end of the threads and it is very hard physically to turn them at the end of their range. I have about 0.25" of thread left for height adjustment on the front. Since 0.7" thread adjustment equates to 1" in ride height, I have about 0.35" more ride height possible. On stock tires this would equate to 26.475". The stock suspension with the stock tires is 27" exactly, so the max height with the Stasis MS is a 0.5" lower roughly. The rears can also get to this height but they to are getting close to the end of there range. I wouldn't really put the rears past 26.25 on the stock tires. Incidentally, 26.25" IS stock ride height in the rear on stock tires.

So......to clear up any confusion on ride height: On stock tires, you can get the front to 26.5" (27" stock) and you can get the rear safely to 26.25" which is stock.

4. Rubbing:

At my ride height and with my 19x9.5" HRE M40 ET26mm with Michelin PS2, I did not experience any obvious rubbing on my 115 mile ride. This incuded some fairly decent bumps and one off ramp taken at what I would call "7/10ths"

5. Alignment:

I can see a hint of some negative camber to the wheel/tire in front that was clearly not there before so yes, an alignment will be needed. The rear is at stock ride height and looks unchanged.

Hope this helps.

and yes, it FREAKIN' ROCKS!!!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice write up. pics???
Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I would echo your results. I think it is funny that you immediately said the car feels lighter. I was on track with mine pretty quickly, and my instructor was also working with a guy in an RS4 with stock suspension. Every time he got out of the other guys car and into mine he would say "I cannot believe the difference... it feels like this car is 300 pounds lighter!" He did say 300, so maybe you are exaggerating

My wife didn't notice it at all, despite the car being on the lift for 3 days. But she didn't notice the Tubi either.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you very much for your review, Vijay. Hopefully, you can keep us posted with running impressions.

Originally Posted by Vijay
5. Alignment:
I can see a hint of some negative camber to the wheel/tire in front that was clearly not there before so yes, an alignment will be needed. The rear is at stock ride height and looks unchanged.
Do you mean that an alignment wasn't performed after the suspension swap? I have never heard of a chassis that doesn't need an alignment when either springs or shocks or both are changed.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you mean that an alignment wasn't performed after the suspension swap? I have never heard of a chassis that doesn't need an alignment when either springs or shocks or both are changed.

Yes, but it is best to wait a few weeks for the ride height to settle and to make any adjustments you may want to make, then do the alignment.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are some fitment pics....

The benefits of a custom built wheel. Just like a made-to-measure suit. Everything fits just right.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Old 07-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those rims look absolutely absurd, sir. I'm quite impressed. What kind of rims are they? A few years down the line I may look into doing suspension as well, however moneys a bit tight at the moment. Looks good though!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Chazaki
Those rims look absolutely absurd, sir. I'm quite impressed. What kind of rims are they? A few years down the line I may look into doing suspension as well, however moneys a bit tight at the moment. Looks good though!
HRE M40 19x9.5", 26mm offset with 275/30/19 Michelin Pilot sport 2
Old 07-03-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice Wheels !
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
The benefits of a custom built wheel. Just like a made-to-measure suit. Everything fits just right.
Agreed! Your car looks perfect. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: My Stasis Motorsport install and review