RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Need clear bra advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need clear bra advice...

Kind of on the fence about doing this, although I know others here are big fans. I never did it on my S4, and must admit the stone chips are pretty bad after 6+ years.

Mainly, I'm concerned about any downsides, I know the positives. Any issues w/discoloration (either film or compared to adjacent paint), surface appearance after time, etc?

Also, if anyone has advice on best installers in Seattle area that would be great. University Audi is quoting me $899 for a full kit, no sure if that's competitive or how good they are at this--I've been real happy w/their service dept. over the past 6 or 7 years.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Clear bra is great but there are some things to consider....

A kit is the worst way to clear bra IMHO, kits have too many pieces and it's almost impossible to wax the car without getting the edges of the clear bra, therefore leaving a visable line. If your going to do it make sure it's a custom job. Meaning one piece fot the entire bumper etc.

Depending on the color of your car the clear bra will be more visable, the lighter, the less visible. My PB RS4 is getting clear bra right now and I had them cover the entire hood and entire fenders. This is over kill on most cars, but since it's black I would rather pay to have more covered, then see the line of where the bra ends.

Material is also important. Now there are a bunch out there. 3M is the best IMHO. It doesn't look as good as some others used "the day" it is applied, but it never changes, keeps it's clear coat layer and water spots can be polished out. Others used will go on clearer, but after around 6 months it will look bad, the clear will fade, and you can't polish out stains.

The price you were quoted seems like a lot to me for a kit, if it's custom then it seems OK.

As for discoloration, the clear bra needs to be taken care of just like your car, wax and wash along with the rest of the car.

So, for me and many others clear bra is very worth it.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed, 3M is best... The waxing issue is easy to fix. How does it look with entire hood 3M'ed?

When waxing, just use painters tape on all the lines to prevent wax from getting caught on the edges.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll know by tomorrow night, the car is still at the clear bra place.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Fear the Miata!

i have had the clear bra on my a6 4.2 for almost 2 years and it was a great investment 3m film......
Old 06-22-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Umm...are you sure they're not taking their sweet ol' time so they can tear around in your car [j/k]
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 3M all the way

I have Autobahnd on my rear fenders on my 911 (used to be on the nose too), and it's kind of going yellow. The 3M, which I have on the nose and now on my RS 4, too, looks much better. Highly recommended.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They actually did me a favor fitting me in and can only work on it a little a day....

I go to see it after work each day, they are less then a mile away from me.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is $650 for nose to top of wheel arches reasonable?

Would it be better to do the entire hood? and/or front 1/4 panels?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I only did a little bit of the hood and part of the fenders

I paid $950, but it was a custom job and they do excellent work.

Quick Reply: Need clear bra advice...