RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

New to Audi, new to the forum - RS4 2007 Imola Yellow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi, new to the forum - RS4 2007 Imola Yellow

Hi guys,

glad that I came across this resource. Looks like a great place.

Got myself my first Audi a couple of weeks ago: Imola Yellow 2007, VIN 00054.

I admit the selling point for me was the color, excellent manual transmission, AWD and... just the way the car drives. I used to do a bit of rally driving in my previous life. So this time around I decided to get something more 'interesting' to drive, looked for quite a while - Subary WRX STi, various BMWs, Infiniti, got really excited by the Nissan GTR but apparently you can not get one all pre-sold etc. Tried S4 and walked away disappointed (feels heavy, nose heavy, and sloppy), dismissed Audi altogether. By pure accident came across this one and the color just made me to try it out... that was enough, I was sold on the spot. Impulse buy you could say, but it just drove the way a car should in my opinion, had just enough power, just enough sportiness and is also reasonably comfortable. Acceptable interior is also important, which I found was my challenge with the current BMWs.

So here we go Now really loving it when I get to drive it. My wife also developed a taste for it unfortunately!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Congrats on your new purchase! If you want your car to really handle with even less understeer...

There is a <b>two step</b> program depending on your budget of course. :-)

Step one, that's the cheap one btw; get yourself the <b>H-SPORT</b> sway bar kit for the car. It changes the front and rear sway bars to bigger diameter ones and the rear as a two position setting. Of course I will suggest you use the stiffer position to help "rotate" the car better. IIRC the kit is less than $450.

Step two, is the more expensive proposition. It can be divided into three sub categories, again depending on your budget but the phone call to STaSIS is free! Your car's handling will improve noticeably.

Step 2a... Get the STaSIS/Ohlins <b>SL</b> coilover kit for your car. World famous Ohlins shocks in a properly tuned coilover kit but for those on a budget (~$2000). Just adjustable in height with none of the fancier bound and rebound adjustments provided on their other top of the line kit.

Step 2b... Step up to the plate and get the STaSIS/Ohlins <b>MS</b> or Motorsport kit. Not for the faint of heart for sure with its ~$4000 price but I can assure you the best suspension out there for your Audi. Not only height adjustable like every coilover kit but the rear shocks are adjustable one way while the fronts are adjustable two ways with external reservoirs. Also the shock housing is made of light weight aluminium.

Step 2c... You can supplement the car's handling towards even more oversteer by adding only the rear sway bar from H-Sport. STaSIS will sale you only the rear bar as part of the SL and MS kits if you want.

Now the bad news is, I don't think anyone here as a cure for your wife dilemma! May I suggest you hide the keys from her. :-)
Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

...Step 2d...2e...2f...Mike, what step you on 2w,x,y,z? lmao
Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great color!!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Wow, thank you!

I did not expect such a great and comprehensive reply.

I was thinking that if the DRC fails, I might be looking for an alternative. From the car repair history I know that one of the front shocks was replaced before the car came to me. So might just as well happen again.

Do you guys think that the STaSIS suspension is better than the stock DRC? (reliability aside, purely handling/comfort). The reason I am asking, I actually passed on the previous generation Subaru STi (it was also yellow ) after a good test drive: the suspension was a bit harsh, unnecessarily. The RS4 impressed by providing virtually the same level of grip and handling, while a lot more pleasant to be in. I thought that they got the balance 'right'. And I would imagine Audi is supposed to put quite a bit of R&amp;D and money into suspension development of their halo car. Is there some background to STaSIS allowing them to achieve the same or better results? Sorry for possibly a stupid question there, I am just new and never heard of these things before.

Oh, I am probably one of those weirdos who don't mind a bit of a front-wheel-drive balance element. The progression of the school I went through was - front wheel driving technic at limit, then once the front wheel drive mastered - rear wheel drive, then transition to the full wheel drive as the most difficult to control at limit of these two (as depending on the weight distribution during transitions the car will exhibit more of either flavor). We used Subaru STis back then. I never really liked the way purely RWD cars drive, but mind you this is from somebody coming from the rally-style school of thought. When I push myself into a corner, I deal with the front wheel drive biased cars more intuitively and actually have more fun with it. That's probably also the reason I could not make myself to fully embrace the BMWs, though tried.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Question...

did you drive the new Subaru STi? The ride is supposed to be much improved over previous generation. Still, it's an Impreza on steroids. I wouldn't expect it to be close to the RS4.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Question...

No, I tried the previous generation just a couple of months prior to the current one coming out. I heard too that the new STi is a bit less edgy, but never tried.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love your car! Welcome....another imola RS4.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For ride quality it would be best for other RS4 owners to answer that. Some have the MS kit in...

Their cars, some have the SL kit in their cars.

I have only limited time behind the wheel of an RS4 with DRC and with the MS kit installed. However there is no doubt in my mind the cars I drove with the MS kit in them were better performer and to me the ride quality was a non issue.

If you are not going to track the car or going to do it once in a while, in other words you are not going to make this your primary track car, then perhaps the SLs are for you.

Assuming you decide to put in either one of the kits and you feel the need for more "rotation" from the car, then there is always the rear H-Sport solution open to you.

Also you can play with some alignment parameters to get the car even more livelily.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sweet! Another Imola one!

Where did you purchase it? Looks like your car was an Audi Training car that was used in the Streets of Tomorrow program Audi did.

Post some pictures!

Welcome!

John

Quick Reply: New to Audi, new to the forum - RS4 2007 Imola Yellow