RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

new to the forum (prospective buyer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forum (prospective buyer)

hi guys. been browsing the forums for a few weeks now and finally decided to post and introduce myself. a little about me, been a huge car enthusiast and actually graduaded from UTI's volkswagen accademy. although i ended up working for bmw for almost 4 years. im no longer in the car industry, im just a full time student right now. i currently have my eye on an 2007 rs4 with about 22k miles. its from a local high perfomance used car dealership so its obviously not a cpp car. it still has the remaining balance of the original factory warranty, leaving me with a few questions:

is the remaining warranty actually transferable? i've read about the rs4's two major issues, the drc leak and excessive carbon buildup. assuming i pick the car up and none of those issues are present or noticable, what are the chances those issues will arrise by the time the remaining warranty is up? i know its hard to gauge, but do the issues usually rear themselves within a certain mileage or timeframe? the drc isnt as much as an issue to me as its a valid reason to upgrade the suspension. in short, when did you guys actually start experiencing the symptoms of carbon build-up? and when you did take it to the dealer were they able to fix it and was the fix perminent? as stated above i have a lot of technical background, so get as technical as you want

thanks in advance!
mike
Old 04-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got a 2007 RS4 a couple weeks ago and am still learning about the car so even though I can't answer your questions I have some info to share.

At 22K miles, if still on the original parts, take a close look at the tires, front brakes, and front rotors for wear. Also be aware that a minor service is required at 25K. While this may not seem like a big deal, if using factory replacement parts, expect to pay $1350 just for front brakes, $1400-$1500 for tires, and about $275 for the 25K service if you have the fluid changed.

Also, make sure the car you buy includes the nav DVD as a replacement runs $200.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The warranty stays with the car not the owner. So does the Audi Care Maintenance if the previous owner bought it at the time of purchase.

All the symptoms you listed can occur at anytime. Just because the car doesn't have them now doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Esp. the DRC and carbon build up. I had my DRC replaced at around 7,500 miles and I had carbon build up removed at around 12,500 miles. I have a feeling I will need the carbon build up removed at 20,000 miles or sooner(at 16,000 now). YMMV.

At 22k miles I highly suggest having the intake manifold pulled off and if there is build up have it cleaned prior to taken delivery. Also as UBERS4 said have the rotors, pads and tires inspected since you are up there in mileage.

If you haven't already see if you(or the dealer selling the RS4) can take the VIN to an Audi Dealer and get the service history printed out. If the brake fluid hasn't been changed in 2 years, or the cabin or engine air filters changed you should get them to do that as well if not any other missing maintenance.

Last edited by Jenner; 09-02-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jenner
So does the Audi Care Maintenance if the previous owner bought it at the time of purchase.
You would have to look into this one. In 2006 it was a given but in 2007 it changed and it was not transferable even if the previous owner bought it at time of purchase. Take the VIN # to an Audi dealer and check it out.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM

awwww man a little discouraging... seems like the carbon build-up issue is more of a when rather than an if. i was more under the impression that the carbon issue is on a few cars. but it seems to me like its something that will eventually come? tried searching but came up dry, do R8's ever have this issue?

really wanted an rs4 because m3's are too common in my area, but i may go that way since i havent found any major issues with their new v8's.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just bought mine a few weeks ago. Here is my take.

Yes there have been issues with the suspension and carbon build up.
But take a look at the big picture. There were about 2000 RS4's imported in the USA. Yes there have been issues with leaking DRC shocks yes there have been issues with the carbon build up that can throw CEL's. But in my eyes these have been a small minority of things. As in all enthusiast forums you always hear the problems and they are always sound horrible and pessimistic.
Do I believe that my car and most of other cars have some build up in he valves. Probably. Do they affect the operation of the car. Possibly. But if you ever went to the dealership and asked them to take the intake manifold off to inspect I would imagine that they would first ask you if there are any symptoms in the car. If any dealership took 2-3 days of shop time to take everything apart just to inspect and eat the cost under warranty they would not be in business. So I would say this. Have the brakes and suspension inspected. Ask about maintenance items and try to either take money off of have them do them. Then negotiate a nice price. Lots of members here paid full price of over $70-75kbrand new. Lots of folks paid lots of money less buying used in the range of $20-25k less. I know I did. I guess that should help out to entertain the possible costs. I consider it the price of admission to enter the RS4 club. I am not sure the new M3's sell that good of a price I saw a few for at least $5-8k more than a 07 RS4.

That said is there a way to inspect the intake for carbon build up? Maybe via a borescope or some other way? Take a look and see. If you see it all dark then walk to ask them to clean it up. It would be a lot cheaper than taking the manifold off.

Cheers and good luck.

Nick

Last edited by titsataki; 05-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM

thanks for your insight nick, i have a lot of thinking to do now...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikecenizal
thanks for your insight nick, i have a lot of thinking to do now...

I'll take care of your thinkin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...1%7C240%3A1308

done. Def will have a very unique RS4 right off the bat also.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TheCaptainMate
I'll take care of your thinkin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...1%7C240%3A1308

done. Def will have a very unique RS4 right off the bat also.
very nice! too bad its a little out of my prince range...