RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Hey guys,

I've been around forums for quite a long time now so I'm not new to them. However, new(ish) to me is my RS4. I've had it just over a month now and have been lurking here since late Nov.

I bought my RS4 in the higher mileage range (92k) but it just had a new clutch installed as well as the carbon cleaning. I love the uniqueness this car brings to the table. Subtle but rare in terms of how often you see them on the road which I like. I picked it up primarily for DD/winter purpose as it now compliments my C63 AMG in the garage.

My first car back in the day was a TT and when that got into the higher miles it got a little feisty. I've already experience that with the RS4 and I find that Audi gets slightly more dicey (for lack of a better word) than BMW/Merc. I've already had some "hood open" issues with the cold, I keep getting a cat heater code, and I've already had to fix the suspension. I completely replaced the DRC just to eliminate any future headaches with some Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. Also, I sometimes have to shut the car off and back on because my passenger headlight gives out which I blame on the ballast. Right now I'm just crossing my fingers that the brakes are good for a while because those are a hefty penny and I'm really looking to spend my extra few dollars on the AMG for spring/summer prep but we shall see.

This is where a big however comes into play. The car has already drained my wallet some but for whatever silly reason I just absolutely love it. I can't quite put my finger on it. Could be the ridiculously awesome rooster tails it throws in snow covered parking lots. Possibly that tone that comes from right behind the dash when getting into it in sport mode. Maybe the fat fenders and carbon fiber interior (which my drivers door has a crack in -_-). And again, the rarity of the car. It is just a fun little driver friendly car and for having 92k miles is holding its own quite well.

I'll probably have this for the long haul, deal with the headaches (brakes, carbon cleanings, etc.) slap a nice set of wheels on it, lower it a little bit more, get those silly cats out of there, and maybe wrap it. Other than that it will remain on daily duty in the hopes I get around to supercharging my c63 sooner than later.

Anywho, just a short little intro. Pretty worthless without some pictures so hope you enjoy what I do have of the RS as well as the other cars I've had. I'll get a decent shoot together come spring time of the RS and AMG but it is currently -22 degrees with wind chill and 2 hours east of me is looking at up to 6 feet of snow over the next 48 hours... Yikes.

Day I picked it up... Ooo just another stock looking RS4...
Name:  RS41_zpsa03285db.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  112.9 KB

Here is an especially awful cell phone picture that is only good for showing the somewhat decent winter wheels it has. Picked up the wheels + hakka tires for $400, not too shabby.
Name:  RS43_zpsdac8149e.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  88.8 KB

And because I'm sure we are all car enthusiasts here, some quick shots of the C63 and my previous line-up.

Tucked in with my 1 series that I traded for the RS4. PS - that 135i was a serious machine that surely was as fast if not the fastest car I've owned on downpipes, intakes and a tune. I will definitely own another 1 series but most like a 1M once the RS/AMG are paid off.
Name:  IMG_0569_zps05cc1ff9.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  102.4 KB

Random
Name:  DSCN0860_zps97d2d58d.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  83.0 KB

Another of the C
Name:  IMG_0611_zpsbd93677d.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  136.0 KB

Some quick Audi content... My old TT:
Name:  TT_zps2992eccc.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  44.9 KB

And finally, a Subaru?? How'd that get in there??
(Big turbo'd to over 400awhp. Crazy power when the boost hit, then 1 engine blew up, and then another so I made the switch back to German)

Name:  IMG_0401.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  73.5 KB

Hope you enjoyed. Feel free to ask any questions on anything, doesn't matter to me. I'll hopefully be around here for some time. I would be lying if I said I haven't considered offloading the RS4 already but the loss I would take combined with the things that I truly do enjoy about the car just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Welcome! Absolutely love Mugello blue. Great color!

Interesting garage with AMG and RS!

I have a 400awhp Subaru that I keep in storage. It primarily sees track days and random hooliganism. It is on its 3rd engine (two years ago), but I built that one, so hopefully it will hold up. The good news is that a Subaru short block replacement is only a few grand, unlike the exotic RS4 engine!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

Nice range of diversity. They are all stunning!!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Datadatum
Welcome! Absolutely love Mugello blue. Great color!

Interesting garage with AMG and RS!

I have a 400awhp Subaru that I keep in storage. It primarily sees track days and random hooliganism. It is on its 3rd engine (two years ago), but I built that one, so hopefully it will hold up. The good news is that a Subaru short block replacement is only a few grand, unlike the exotic RS4 engine!
At least the Audi doesn't require a new motor after every trip to the grocery store The subaru was fun, loud with the cutout, and the turbo was just insane. But 10k rebuilds every 5-10k miles got old. I had so much into it though that I sold it for almost 20k... blown.

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
Nice range of diversity. They are all stunning!!
Thank you. Hope to carry my same flavor into the RS4
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ouch! You certainly paid top dollar for your Subaru's modifications. I would have dumped the car as well if it cost me that much.

My first rebuild was covered by the dealer, and my second build (forged/balanced/coated bottom end) was a couple of grand at the dealer. It helps to be friends with parts manager, master mechanic, service writers, and the regional service rep! I do have >20k in the car, but it took me 10 years of ownership to get there, so it doesn't really seem like that much. It sits in a storage unit most of the time now. I can't part with it.

Once a month, I'll swap out the RS4 for the STi and play hooligan all week.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah I went with a built block. Manley I beams, Manley Pistons, Crank etc etc etc... The ringlands never seated properly and cyl 2&4 were toast after 5k miles.

I love the boxer rumble. I do question sometimes whether or not to get back into another Sti hatch but just the last memories I have aren't the greatest.

Loving the white blob eye. It's nice to see that people aren't all "if it isn't _____ then it's a piece of ****"
Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, RS4 owners seem to be an accepting crew. I doubt there are many RS4 owners now that aren't overall car enthusiasts. Hard to imagine someone "accidentally" purchasing one.

And you totally don't need an STi anymore, when you have a C63 to go play hooligan with! LOL
Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The Sti would've been what happened instead of the RS4. C63 stays in the garage for snow. The sti would've been a little cheaper, much cheaper to maintain, and the hatch would've provided some nice room for my dogs.

However, you only live once so why keep buying the same thing? I just will get a dog hammock for the back seats to get the dogs around while enjoying the awesomeness of the RS4 in the snow. I'm quite confident the RS is better than the Sti in the snow.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed - you only live once. Enjoy the RS!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome and enjoy your RS! I still love mine!

Quick Reply: New member