RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

new order deposit -- refundable or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new order deposit -- refundable or no?

Hi guys,

When you put down the deposit on a new order where there was a significant (e.g. 3-4 months) wait, was it refundable or no?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A deposit should be refundable, but some dealers won't refund if it is a special order...

for example, if you order a custom exterior color or interior setup a dealer might not refund the deposit.

It doesn't hurt to ask the dealer in question what their policy is though.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Default here's my situation ...

The dealer initially stated that the deposit would be refundable provided my order isn't peculiar (i.e. Imola Yellow, sunroof deletion, Exclusive Package). I went ahead and told him to order a Mugello Blue with the Titanium Package and rear side airbags. He came back and told me that the manager said that this combo would be hard to sell (because of the dark rims, go figure!) if I were to cancel the order and that they would bump the deposit up and make it nonrefundable.

After I told him that this wouldn't fly, he called me back and told me that the 2nd manager of the dealership said that they could make the deposit refundable. So, I went ahead and gave them my credit card # only to find out the next day that the original manager had overruled the other one and is firm on it being nonrefundable.

So I am just curious as to what the members' experience has been in this matter.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default very interested to here the outcome of this situation

Im looking to order within the next 4 - 5 months and I was told recently a 2000 dollar deposit when i wanted to order. Keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here's what you do...

Sick your lawyer on 'em and get him/her to send a letter stating your issue. I'm sure it will be resolved in short order
The ONLY situation where they should keep the deposit is if they are UNABLE to sell the car. I seriously doubt they can prove that it is unfit/unable to be sold.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Default just to clarify ...

Guys,

The dealer is willing to give me back the deposit (the order hasn't been officially placed with Audi yet) if I don't agree with the nonrefundable aspect, so I don't have a legal beef with them. I am more curious as to whether the deposit on this car is usually refundable or not.

This was a $2k "refundable" deposit that they want to make nonrefundable, by the way. The original agreement had been a $1k refundable deposit, but I was willing to bump it up to make the deal work.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I talked with one of my Audi salesman....he said all deposits are refundable...legally
Old 08-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Default interesting because the way I understood the salesman is ...

that the conditions of the deposit are as agreed upon between the two parties. In other words, if the buyer agrees to a nonrefundable deposit, then that's exactly what it is -- you sign the purchase order and the terms of the deposit are explicitly stated on it.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When I put my $2k deposit down last Fall. I was told it was fully refundable, but I also

never tried to really back out. My color combo was fairly standard.(Daytona/Black).

If anything I would go ahead and order the car, but make sure they write on there (the deposit/order sheet) that the deposit is fully refundable. Then keep a copy for yourself.

That's what I ended up doing (even though I never got anything but a straight answer).

If the dealer you have isn't willing to do that, then go to another dealership. I'm not sure where you are located, but if one dealership doesn't want to play by your rules... there are plenty of others that will.

Your color combo doesn't look bad, in fact I'm sure it will look stunning. Any dealer with a good reputation and good location will have no problems selling that order.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yea I would walk with a dealer attitude like that...A deposit is a desposit...

Quick Reply: new order deposit -- refundable or no?